20 gallon, Kribs, Barbs and otos

1. Dayle6 Initiate Member

Ive have my tank (20g) up and running for around 8 weeks now, added 5 green tiger barbs after 2 weeks and 4 salt and pepper ottos a week later. After 6 weeks I added a pair of kribs. I have a lot of caves and plants for the kribs and they all seem to be getting along fine. The kribs (awesome fish) dominate the whole bottom of the tank and the barbs seem happy swimming in their school around the top of the tank. Has anyone else got experience of keeping kribs and tiger barbs before? I've read some mixed reports though everything seems fine in my tank.
    Also are the kribs likely to breed with the barbs around? Thanks

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Is this a 20 gal high or long?

Tiger barbs need to be in larger groups, and unfortunately might be cramped and aggressive in a 20 gal.

What are salt and pepper otos? Otos would do better in group of at least 6, if you want to add a few more!

If/when the kribs start breeding, I imagine you'll see some issues between them and the tiger barbs.

I'd rehome the barbs and get smaller, less aggressive schooling fish. You still have lots of options!

3. Dayle6 Initiate Member

Thanks for the reply, it's a 20 G high, more of a cube shape. Thanks for the advice on the barbs I'm thinking of rehoming them maybe for some cherry barbs or rasboras
    Sorry I meant to say pepper Cory's instead of salt and pepper otos haha! I have a group of four of them, as these are mainly bottom dwellers are the kribs likely to attack them when they're breeding?

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately in a 20 gal high, there's not room for both bottom feeders and a pair of dwarf cichlids. I'd rehome either the cories or the kribs when you rehome the tiger barbs.