20 Gallon Honey Gourami Community Tank

jwde2009

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all!

I'm having trouble coming up with a stocking plan for my 20 gallon I would like a colorful community that includes some cories centered around one to three of either a gourami (preferably honey gourami) or possibly German /Bolivian rams. I also really like red platys. Any ideas?
Thanks!!

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most common corys will do well with Gouramis, GBR's, most common tetras, clown plecos, guppies, platys, etc. LOTS of options. Only thing is, if you go the livebearer route, you will run into trouble unless you keep only males. A 20 gallon isnt that big and once a platy or guppy has a batch of babies, youll have series stocking issues. Keeping tetras is much easier.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recommend keeping away from the gourmi since these can be rather aggressive. A pair of german blue ram really look good in anything. what if you did a ram pair, corydoras, and a hatchet fish species? If you go with a german pair, i highly recommend buying from germanbluerams.com

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Honey gourami are NOT aggressive and make excellent community fish.
Sorry - had to get that out of the way. I had honey gourami, red wag platy (male only) & corys plus guppies (male only) and it was a very pleasant tank. I say go for it!

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I need to rephrase what i wrote above, 1 gourami is not aggressive, multiples will have aggression issues. They are very territorial and most likely you will only beable to get males from the pet stores. think of them as dwarfs.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DutchAquarium said:
I need to rephrase what i wrote above, 1 gourami is not aggressive, multiples will have aggression issues. They are very territorial and most likely you will only beable to get males from the pet stores. think of them as dwarfs.
That is true of many gourami, but honey gourami do well in groups, at least in my experience which I tried after the FL collective assured me it would be okay. In a 20, three honeys would be fine. Mine mostly hang near the surface, but they do swim throughout the tank.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your going to attempt doing multiple gourami, have a backup plan incase things go bad. You might want an extra bucket at the ready or a divider. While some people can get away with keeping multiples for a time, all it takes is one day for them to change. All the dwarf species are territorial and i've seen many make this mistake before. the larger gourmi such as pearls, blue, and golds do much better in small shoals. this isn't to say their isn't any aggresion though.

Sergeant Pepper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Honey Gourami are very mild mannered, I have 5 and they are so passive it's like they are all siblings. They aren't aggressive by any means. Dwarf Gouramis, pearls, and larger gourami are semi aggressive. I had a Dwarf that was very aggressive.

jwde2009

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the help everyone I'm decided on the honeys just trying to find tank mates =)

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree that honeys are very passive.

My male rarely even chases the female, and never bothers the other fish.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jwde2009 said:
Thanks for the help everyone I'm decided on the honeys just trying to find tank mates =)
Your plan sounds good - honey gourami, corydoras, and maybe a couple of male platys! I guess in place of the platys you could do a small shoal of a small fish, but then I can’t help. I suggest perusing the Stocking sub forum for more ideas.

EllynTheBettaFan

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a twenty gallon as well, and want to put 2 or 3 honey gourami in with some type of tetra, but does it matter if it's a twenty gallon high?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mom2some said:
Honey gourami are NOT aggressive and make excellent community fish.
Sorry - had to get that out of the way. I had honey gourami, red wag platy (male only) & corys plus guppies (male only) and it was a very pleasant tank. I say go for it!
That's weird my honey bullied other gouramis and bullied my parrot fish, but then once I put him in with my guppies he became more colorful.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OneLittleBubble said:
That's weird my honey bullied other gouramis and bullied my parrot fish, but then once I put him in with my guppies he became more colorful.
I had one sold to me as a “red honey” which I later determined was actually a thick lipped gourami of sunset color variation. It was a bully & jerk & I returned it. I wonder if you got one like that?

KeeperOfASilentWorld

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DutchAquarium said:
To avoid confusion :

Honey Gourami's and Chocolate Gourami's do best in groups of 6 or preferably more. The Gourami you are referring to is the Dwarf Gourami.

KeeperOfASilentWorld

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Stocking Idea 1 :

3x Honey Gourami
8x Trigonostigma Espei ( Lambchop Rasbora )
13x Boraras Brigittae ( Chili Rasbora )

Stocking Idea 2 :

3x Honey Gourami
21x Trigonostigma Espei ( Lambchop Rasbora )

Stocking Idea 3 :

3x Honey Gourami
13x Harlequin Rasbora

With all stockings :
10-20x Amano Shrimp
10-20x Neocaridina Shrimp ( Blue, Red, Orange, Yellow or Green variety ) choose only one color as they crossbreed

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mom2some said:
I had one sold to me as a “red honey” which I later determined was actually a thick lipped gourami of sunset color variation. It was a bully & jerk & I returned it. I wonder if you got one like that?
Looking at the pictures and it looks exactly like mine. I love him still though. He is very dark red, I always wondered why other gouramis were lighter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom