20 gallon high

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by alexwarner, Aug 12, 2015.

1. alexwarnerNew MemberMember

I am giving back most of my fish (to the store I bought them) (guppies, a swordtail, 2 neon tetras). And I am leaving the 3 zebra danios. I am keeping my 2 ghost shrimp (big) and 2 cories (one albino, one gray). I am thinking of adding 6 black skirt tetras. I did my research and I know many will say that the tank is too small for the zebra danios and that they should be kept in schools of 5+. But they've been here for a long time so I don't want to give them back.. And they have been very hardy fish. So would this work?

More Info: Ammonia and Nitrites = 0 Nitrates= 5
    Heavily planted tank (aquascape)

Here's the list:

- 6 black skirt tetras
    - 3 zebra danios
    - 2 cories
    - 2 ghost shrimp

I've read that black skirt tetras are best kept in schools (5+) and that they would do fine in a 20 gallon. (some even keep them in 8 and 10 gallons)

Thoughts?

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Zebra danios are fine in a 20 gallon. They do need to be in a group of 6+ though, or they will be aggressive. And cories need a group of 6+ of their own species.
    Black skirts are fine in a 20g, too. And yes they need groups of 6+.

3. alexwarnerNew MemberMember

So you think everything is fine except the cories? Do you think I should add atleast 3 cories? Would that be overstocking the aqaurium?

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

If you had 6 zebra danios, 6 black skirts, and 6 cories of one type, imo that's fully stocked.

5. DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

I agree with Anders.
    But personally I wouldn't get the skirt tetras, I'd up the school of danios to 6, up the cories to 6 of a single species (that would mean re homing one of the cories and upping the other ones school), then add a centrepiece fish like a dwarf gourami.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice