20 gallon high

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwarner

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am giving back most of my fish (to the store I bought them) (guppies, a swordtail, 2 neon tetras). And I am leaving the 3 zebra danios. I am keeping my 2 ghost shrimp (big) and 2 cories (one albino, one gray). I am thinking of adding 6 black skirt tetras. I did my research and I know many will say that the tank is too small for the zebra danios and that they should be kept in schools of 5+. But they've been here for a long time so I don't want to give them back.. And they have been very hardy fish. So would this work?

More Info: Ammonia and Nitrites = 0 Nitrates= 5
Heavily planted tank (aquascape)

Here's the list:

- 6 black skirt tetras
- 3 zebra danios
- 2 cories
- 2 ghost shrimp

I've read that black skirt tetras are best kept in schools (5+) and that they would do fine in a 20 gallon. (some even keep them in 8 and 10 gallons)

Thoughts?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Zebra danios are fine in a 20 gallon. They do need to be in a group of 6+ though, or they will be aggressive. And cories need a group of 6+ of their own species.
Black skirts are fine in a 20g, too. And yes they need groups of 6+.

OP
A

alexwarner

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Zebra danios are fine in a 20 gallon. They do need to be in a group of 6+ though, or they will be aggressive. And cories need a group of 6+ of their own species.
Black skirts are fine in a 20g, too. And yes they need groups of 6+.
So you think everything is fine except the cories? Do you think I should add atleast 3 cories? Would that be overstocking the aqaurium?

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Anders.
But personally I wouldn't get the skirt tetras, I'd up the school of danios to 6, up the cories to 6 of a single species (that would mean re homing one of the cories and upping the other ones school), then add a centrepiece fish like a dwarf gourami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.2%

Top Bottom