20 gallon high Stocking Help

b00kbug

Newbie here!

Have a freshwater tank thats been running for 3 months now. Was stocked with platys - lost all adults due to internal parasites (learned about quarantine real fast!) but they had babies so I have about 12 fry around that I'm growing up. I plan to keep 5.

Anyways - I want to start adding new fish into it. I used AqAdvisor but I'm having trouble interpreting what I'm looking at.

I have on my list:
5 platy
3 nerite snails
5 danios
4 cory cats.

I have a 20g high. So AqAdvisor says my filtration capacity is 132% - stocking is at 106%.

So, too many fish or am I good?

jkkgron2

Newbie here!

Have a freshwater tank thats been running for 3 months now. Was stocked with platys - lost all adults due to internal parasites (learned about quarantine real fast!) but they had babies so I have about 12 fry around that I'm growing up. I plan to keep 5.

Anyways - I want to start adding new fish into it. I used AqAdvisor but I'm having trouble interpreting what I'm looking at.

I have on my list:
5 platy
3 nerite snails
5 danios
4 cory cats.

I have a 20g high. So AqAdvisor says my filtration capacity is 132% - stocking is at 106%.

I would get rid of two of the nerites and up the corys to 6. It’s on the higher end of stocking but it’s not really very overstocked.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Hi there, I know most people say that AqAdvisor is not to be trusted, but I'm still curious about the website in itself. However, each time I try it, I get a domain selling page saying that the domain might be for sale, with no actual AqAdvisor tool. I thought that the tool and website were old news, but seeing a new post from 5 minutes ago referring to the site made me wonder.

Am I the only that gets this ?

2020-05-29 13_58_21-Window.png

Upvote 0

b00kbug

I would get rid of two of the nerites and up the corys to 6. It’s on the higher end of stocking but it’s not really very overstocked.

Can I ask why I should x the nerites? I have them on my list to nom some algea on the glass for me. I know the algea growth came from my overfeeding with the fry - I panic and worry I'm starving them.

Upvote 0

b00kbug

Hi there, I know most people say that AqAdvisor is not to be trusted, but I'm still curious about the website in itself. However, each time I try it, I get a domain selling page saying that the domain might be for sale, with no actual AqAdvisor tool. I thought that the tool and website were old news, but seeing a new post from 5 minutes ago referring to the site made me wonder.

I found the site fine earlier today, so not sure. AqAdvisor

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Can I ask why I should x the nerites? I have them on my list to nom some algea on the glass for me. I know the algea growth came from my overfeeding with the fry - I panic and worry I'm starving them.

1. Corys are social shoaling fish that do better in groups. It's an arbitrary number, but 6 is often used for the minimum. More is better if you have room, but 6 is probably enough in a 20 tall. Different species generally won't shoal together, so please don't mix them.
  2. Unless you have a great deal of algae one nerite should take care of it. Do you have live plants in the tank? They can help with algae by taking up nutrients from the water that would otherwise be used by algae. If you don't have any live plants you might want to consider reducing the length or intensity of lighting.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I mean honestly you could probably remove two of the platys instead. Another reason I suggest removing some is because their eggs are very hard to remove and having one reduces the chances of getting a female. It’s up to you, I just think if you didn’t remove something and added more corys it would be overstocked.

Upvote 0

b00kbug

1. Corys are social shoaling fish that do better in groups. It's an arbitrary number, but 6 is often used for the minimum. More is better if you have room, but 6 is probably enough in a 20 tall. Different species generally won't shoal together, so please don't mix them
  2. Unless you have a great deal of algae one nerite should take care of it. Do you have live plants in the tank? They can help with algae by taking up nutrients from the water that would also be used by algae. If you don't have any live plants you might want to consider reducing the length or intensity of lighting.
I had heard about 'the more the better' with corys - I just want to make sure that the footprint of the tank was okay. Wasnt sure if a 20 high would work with 6 bottom feeders.

No live plants - I want to do that in the future, but as a newbie, I wanted to focus on keeping the fish alive first then tackle plants! I don't have a tooon of algae - so I'll adjust the lighting. I currently have it on a timer of 7am-7pm.

Upvote 0

b00kbug

I mean honestly you could probably remove two of the platys instead. Another reason I suggest removing some is because their eggs are very hard to remove and having one reduces the chances of getting a female. It’s up to you, I just think if you didn’t remove something and added more corys it would be overstocked.
Would 1 nerite and 6 corys work?

Upvote 0

flyinGourami

Newbie here!

I have on my list:
5 platy
3 nerite snails
5 danios
4 cory cats.

I would up the number of corydoras and danios so you have a group of 6 for each, I would also get 1 nerite so you don't run out of food for it. What species of corys? Maybe keep 3 platys instead?

Upvote 0

b00kbug

I would up the number of corydoras and danios so you have a group of 6 for each, I would also get 1 nerite so you don't run out of food for it. What species of corys? Maybe keep 3 platys instead?
I was going leaning toward albino because I think they are adorable.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Would 1 nerite and 6 corys work?
Yep! But I do agree with flyinGourami about also upping the danio school to 6

Upvote 0

b00kbug

Yep! But I do agree with flyinGourami about also upping the danio school to 6

Okay so....
3 platy
1 nerite
6 cory
6 danio

Does that look better? AqAdvisor is telling me it's at 106% stocking.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Okay so....
3 platy
1 nerite
6 cory
6 danio

Does that look better? AqAdvisor is telling me it's at 106% stocking.
That looks great! Now that all the fish have proper schools I feel like they’ll be really happy in your tank

Upvote 0

flyinGourami

3 platys, 1 nerite snail, 6 corydoras catfish and 6 danios IMO will work fine. Maybe add a few easy live plants in there

Upvote 0

b00kbug

That looks great! Now that all the fish have proper schools I feel like they’ll be really happy in your tank

Awesome - thanks so much for the help!!

Upvote 0

b00kbug

3 platys, 1 nerite snail, 6 corydoras catfish and 6 danios IMO will work fine. Maybe add a few easy live plants in there

Thank you!! I definitely want to work on adding plants in at some point. After I get all the fish in there, I will work on that for sure.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

I found the site fine earlier today, so not sure. AqAdvisor

I still get the same "Domain for sale" page while using your link. That's weird. Is it working for everybody else ?

EDIT: Seems like it works for some people and doesn't for others, and also depends on platforms used. Hmm

Upvote 0

gregoranddexter1816

i used it recently and it was fine but ever since its done the same to me so i think its just getting sold

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

But it seems like people have been having the same issue as me since 5 months at least.

People can access it on some laptop, while they can't on others.

On my end, I was never able to access it ever on any browser, phone or computers since the first time I tried about a month ago.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
29 Gallon Tank Stocking Compatibility
Replies
Views
GHB2K6
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views