20 Gallon High Final Stocking Plan

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Wintersprite, Jul 26, 2015.

1. W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

Hello everyone I think I have finally decided on my final stocking plan and just wanted to go over it before I made any additional purchases. I have a 20 gallon high with a top fin 20 power filter and LED lighting. Plant wise it is stocked with a marimo moss ball, a few silk plants and some plastic plants along with a couple decorations. The tank has been set up for 2 months, and has been cycled for about 2 weeks. Currently residing in the tank are 1 halfmoon betta and 4 regular harlequin rasboras. Later on this week I plan on adding 4 purple harlequin rasboras to finish out the rasbora school. Just waiting for my LFS to get more in stock. Then maybe in another month or so I would like to add 6 otocinclus.

So once everything has been add the final stocking plan would look like this:

1 Halfmoon betta
    8 Harlequin rasboras (4 regular & 4 purple)
    6 Otocinclus

What do you guys think? Will I be fine or will I be overstocked? Compatibility wise yes I know that I will need to keep an eye on the betta but so far he has been getting along with the harlequins just fine (no fin nipping or chasing at all). However, if he does decide to get a little nippy with his fellow tank mates i will be ready to relocate him to a tank by himself.

2. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

Imo I think you should be fine. But make sure you watch your betta closely and have a backup plan for if anything bad happens (flaring at other fish, fighting, etc.) which I'm sure you already know and have been told a thousand time, but it doesn't hurt to reiterate ;) The general rule people say for 20 gallons is 2 schools of 6 fish and 1 centerpiece fish which is basically what you have, just 2 extras in the harlequin school which shouldn't be a problem. Good luck! :)

3. OP
    OP
    W

Wintersprite Valued Member Member

Thank you for your input. I have been monitoring the betta and everything is going good so far. He has yet to show any sign of aggression. The only time i have seen him flare is when he catches a glimpse of himself in the tank glass at times. Anyone else have any suggestions or think my stocking plan is alright? I won't be getting the other harlequins until my lfs gets more in stock on thursday so any other input or thoughts is much appreciated.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would say bioload wise it's fine, but the betta will get aggressive someday.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice