20 Gallon Hexagon Tall - What Should I Do With It

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ruby_cichlid, Oct 30, 2018.

1. ruby_cichlid

ruby_cichlidValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    4 years
    At the moment i'm facing most likely having to re cycle my 20 gal in which case I don't feel comfortable keeping what fish I have in it as I would not bear keeping them in such a bad environment. Call me silly but it's just not okay in my eyes to put them through that so if the tank flush does NOT work they'll be going to a very good home with a close friend of mine.

I've also debated rehoming them before this.

So I really want to try my hand at a different stocking choice. Preferably fish that are carnivores as I have a lot of carnivorous food, I also love striking colors. Please no aggressive fish though. And i'm not too keen on keeping solely one fish in the tank so bigger fish like some cichlids wont work (even though i'd die for a peacock cichlid. I've heard i'd be able to keep ONE peacock cichlid in the tank but even if I were to do that would there be any compatible tank mates?

I dunno I just need help all around. I prefer a tropical fish as well.

i also would like planting ideas as i'm wanting to convert the tank into a planted aquarium​

2. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +358
    Experience:
    1 year
    I’d go with some tall branches some moss and a bunch of shrimp!!

3. OP
    OP
    ruby_cichlid

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    4 years
    Not entirely sold on keeping a shrimp tank. I like shrimp, don't get me wrong, but I want more activity and color and shrimp do not really do it for me lol

4. SaltyPhone

Ratings:
    +358
    Experience:
    1 year
    Lol I get that I’m just not a fan of hexagon tanks and shrimp were the only thing I could think of doing if I was gifted a tank like that :). I’d love to see the final outcome when you get it setup though.

5. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosierWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +154
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    What are the dimensions of the tank? Do you mean strictly carnivorous fish? Most fish will eat other animals or insects.

6. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Endlers a flashy little fish. Tough little buggers too. Pygmy sunfish may be another option. Or pea puffers.

7. SaltyPhone

Ratings:
    +358
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ohhh pea puffers I’ve never kept em they sound fun; I withdraw shrimp and +1 pea puffer.

8. OP
    OP
    ruby_cichlid

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    4 years
    I have no idea what the exact dimensions are. Its just a regular hex tall tank I think. It was an aqueon one

9. CrazedHoosier

Ratings:
    +154
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    With that, you could probably do some type of ram cichlid. My favorite ram personally is the Bolivian ram. You could then do a school of fish that would be mid to top dwelling fish. Guppies, platies or zebra danios. If you want smaller carnivores, bettas, dwarf type gouramis, scarlet badis would work. Not all at once, of course.

10. OP
    OP
    ruby_cichlid

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    4 years
    I currently have a flame dwarf gourami along with an opal betta and some guppies & mollies so those are the fish I want to try to avoid since I would love to try something new.​

11. CrazedHoosier

Ratings:
    +154
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I can understand wanting to try something new. I'm surprised your dwarf gourami and betta get along! Like I said, rams, or scarlet badis are the only ones I can think of. I've actually sort of specialized in just the gourami family and dwarf cichlid category for all my life, and I'm just now starting to branchout. The problem I think may come up is that you may get too many fish that want to stay in the middle of your tank. It would not be a great look in such a tall tank. The ram would stay towards the bottom, but it is a bit more difficult to find schooling fish that will stay towards the top area. I think harlequin rasboras may work with a ram in your scenario.

12. OP
    OP
    ruby_cichlid

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    4 years
    The gourami and betta aren't together lol I have 3 separate tanks and actually just moved 2 of my favorite guppies in with the betta in his 10 gal because I do want to keep them and granted all of the tank's cycles seemed to have crashed it's just the 20 gal that is the worst which is why I want to rehome all of it's inhabitants because I forsee a long battle with this one.

I only ever had 1 cichlid which passed when I moved a few years back and since them haven't had another but I have fallen in love with the peacock cichlids i'm just not sure if anyone has ever successfully housed one in a 20 gal.

I've bred livebearers for 4 years now so I want to try something out of that realm, the only fish I plan on keeping from the 20 gal is my black moscow guppy pair and possibly my gourami as I have grown quite attached to him because he has the cutest attitude lol but if he can't get along with my betta than he too will have to be rehomed​