20 Gallon German Blue Rank Build

1. 2006fuzz

2006fuzz Valued Member Member

Not building fish lol. In the next week or so I'll have a pair of German Blue Rams in my empty 20 long. Tanks cycled on sponge filters as I wait for the final scaping and my fluval 106 canister to come in. I'm having a hard time deciding on substrate and overall decor.

Tank stocking is:
    - 1m/f GBR pair

Tank is kept at 82 degrees F.

i was initially thinking of an underwater rooty sort of scape, lots of driftwood, some moss. Potentially afew leafy plants. My biggest concern atm is substrate. I've used BDBS, and I find it super hard to clean. I don't really have access to a hose outside to rinse it, or a bath tub (shower only apartment) so I was wondering. Is it worth biting the bullet on aquarium sand, specifically florite sand? i was thinking a black or dark brown sand bed to make my rams' color pop and fit in with the driftwood look.

Also wondering what else I can keep in here, I'm hoping to have these two as a breeding pair so other bottom dweallers wouldn't really work in a tank this small (darnit) but would some guppies work or something else perhaps?

2. picolo003

picolo003 Valued Member Member

For bottom dwellers you could get some otocinclus, which wouldn’t affect the breeding

3. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

How would tigerbarbs do with the rams? Bottom dwellers seem like a bad idea, the rams can get pretty defensive when spawning.

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Rams can get pretty aggressive when breeding, so I wouldn’t aim for tankmates.

A 20 long has good length, but a short height.
    You could get away with some Cardinal tetras though.

Also, I would recommend raising the temp to 85

5. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Tiger barbs can be too aggressive. I would stick to super peaceful small bodied tetras or rasboras.

Harlequins are nice and peaceful and pretty, and tolerate warm water well.

6. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

If you want the ram fry to survive, I would suggest making this heavily planted and having a smaller-bodied fish. I love harlequin rasboras. Ten to twelve of them would do great.

7. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

I plan on separating the fry I wish to raise. I was hoping the barbs would be able to handle the aggression from breeding. I’m not dead set on tankmates, just looking to see if I have options.

8. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

The barbs are going to stress your rams and thus they won't breed. Peaceful fish. You want super peaceful fish in a tank that size.

If it was like a 120 or something huge it would be differant but in a 20G you want to have the chillest tank ever for the rams.

Otos, Rasboras, small bodied tetras, actually guppies might not be bad.

9. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

Guppies eh? I have afew females I could keep in there I suppose. I’ll probably end up stealing some along with some galaxy rasboras from another tank to have as dither fish.

10. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

Finally started scaping the tank. The left side is going to home just the driftwood, with maybe some short plants in the back. On the right side I'll be leaving the ornament as the female seems to live in it and use it as a "off-center" piece, and plant taller plants in the back (you can see there's currently 2 swords floating in the tank).