20 Gallon German Blue Ram Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by 2006fuzz, Jun 14, 2018.

1. 2006fuzz

2006fuzz Valued Member Member

Not building fish lol. In the next week or so I'll have a pair of German Blue Rams in my empty 20 long. Tanks cycled on sponge filters as I wait for the final scaping and my fluval 106 canister to come in. I'm having a hard time deciding on substrate and overall decor.

Tank stocking is:
    - 1m/f GBR pair

Tank is kept at 82 degrees F.

i was initially thinking of an underwater rooty sort of scape, lots of driftwood, some moss. Potentially afew leafy plants. My biggest concern atm is substrate. I've used BDBS, and I find it super hard to clean. I don't really have access to a hose outside to rinse it, or a bath tub (shower only apartment) so I was wondering. Is it worth biting the bullet on aquarium sand, specifically florite sand? i was thinking a black or dark brown sand bed to make my rams' color pop and fit in with the driftwood look.

Also wondering what else I can keep in here, I'm hoping to have these two as a breeding pair so other bottom dweallers wouldn't really work in a tank this small (darnit) but would some guppies work or something else perhaps?

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't try other fish. There is a risk that they'll eat the spawn and/or fry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice