20 Gallon Fishless Cycle

Damiano

Hey guys quick question. I set up a 20 Gallon Tank with a sponge filter. No media bare bottom. I added TSS safe start and Dr Tim’s Amonia. Got it to 4ppm after another week I added Dr Tim’s One and Only. It’s going on 2 weeks and still I’m stuck at 4ppm Ammonia 0 Nitrites and Nitrates. Should I just keep waiting? Or should I keep adding TSS or One and Only?

Momgoose56

Hey guys quick question. I set up a 20 Gallon Tank with a sponge filter. No media bare bottom. I added TSS safe start and Dr Tim’s Amonia. Got it to 4ppm after another week I added Dr Tim’s One and Only. It’s going on 2 weeks and still I’m stuck at 4ppm Ammonia 0 Nitrites and Nitrates. Should I just keep waiting? Or should I keep adding TSS or One and Only?
Bacteria need something to attach to. Just a sponge filter doesn't provide much water circulation and virtually no gas exchange at the surface. You'd do yourself a favor getting a good HOB filter and biomedia to provide some more circulation in the tank and surface area with good water flow.

Damiano

I also have a 29 Gallon Tank which is already Cycled. I guess I can put the sponge in there for a couple of weeks then put it back in the 10 gallon. But now that the sponge has high Ammonia just rinse it out in tap water? Also once I put it back in the 10 Gallon is that sufficient enough to sustain good parameters moving forward?

Momgoose56

I also have a 29 Gallon Tank which is already Cycled. I guess I can put the sponge in there for a couple of weeks then put it back in the 10 gallon. But now that the sponge has high Ammonia just rinse it out in tap water? Also once I put it back in the 10 Gallon is that sufficient enough to sustain good parameters moving forward?
What are you going to put on the 10 gallon tank while the sponge is in the 29 gallon tank? If you already have a cycled 29 gallon tank, a better idea would be to take some of the filter media and substrate from that tank and put it in the tank you are cycling and leave the sponge filter where it is. You may get your tank completely cycled in a week or two that way!

Damiano

I didn’t want to remove much from the Cycled tank as it just completed about a week ago. Took forever so I’m scared to mess with it lol. I have 2 bags of Bio Rings in it as well as a sponge. The new Tank is for Fry. How would I use the media in a sponge filter tank? Thanks

imba

Take a bag of your cycled bio rings and hang it next to your sponge filter in your 20g.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Roger7986
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
AquaCaitlin
  • Question
Replies