20 Gallon Filters

Guppyception

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 20 gallon high and had an aqeuon filter running in it rated for a 20 gallon and i had an extra one of that exact same filter rated for a 20 gallon so now i am running two filters both rated for a 20 gallon tank. would this be considered too much flow or filtration?

Mongo75

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can have too much filtration. As to flow, that would depend on the fish. There are ways to reduce flow such as putting a pre-filter sponge on your intake tubes, or baffling your output.

Guppyception

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think you can have too much filtration. As to flow, that would depend on the fish. There are ways to reduce flow such as putting a pre-filter sponge on your intake tubes, or baffling your output.
its currently adult guppy and fry i plan to add mystery snail and maybe cardinal tetras or an apistogramma nothing looks like it is struggling to swim so i take that as them being ok

Mongo75

Valued Member
Reaction score
with the fry, you may want to use pre-filter sponges on your intakes to prevent them getting sucked into your filters.

Guppyception

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
with the fry, you may want to use pre-filter sponges on your intakes to prevent them getting sucked into your filters.
thank you so much. as for now they are not even close to the filter intake and are hiding in their hornwort if it becomes an issue i will do that thank you for the input

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your filter is not rated for 20g. Its rated "for up to 20g".

There is no universal standard for rating a filter's capacity for a tank, so how they are marketed is very misleading.

When our 20g tank was running, it had 2x filters rated for "tanks between 10-30g" plus a sponge filter....

Your 2x Aqueon filter will probably work very well on your 20g.

I would suggest to switch from cartridges to reusable media. You can insert a foam sponge block for example in the reservoir, in lieu of the cartridge.

That would have immensely more surface area vs. a cartridge, to both mechanically filter the water and to colonize beneficial bacteria.

Here is a link to a thread in the forum that shows examples and pics of doing that.

Guppyception

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your filter is not rated for 20g. Its rated "for up to 20g".

There is no universal standard for rating a filter's capacity for a tank, so how they are marketed is very misleading.

When our 20g tank was running, it had 2x filters rated for "tanks between 10-30g" plus a sponge filter....

Your 2x Aqueon filter will probably work very well on your 20g.

I would suggest to switch from cartridges to reusable media. You can insert a foam sponge block for example in the reservoir, in lieu of the cartridge.

That would have immensely more surface area vs. a cartridge, to both mechanically filter the water and to colonize beneficial bacteria.

Here is a link to a thread in the forum that shows examples and pics of doing that.
I just read all of that and it is so cool. I will definitely do that to the new filter and let the bacteria build up, once that is ok I'll do it to the other filter. Thank you so much for that what an awesome idea!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom