20 gallon filter on 55

DixieTheDog
So, I am going to buy a 55 gallon and I bought a canister filter online. The filter comes in 3 days and I am thinking about getting the 55 tomorrow. I also have a 20 gallon up right now with guppies and I am going to put them in the 55. So, I wondering if I could put the 20 gallon filter on the 55 with the guppies for a couple of days?

Advertisement
MikeRad89
Yes. Your filter supports your bioload, the tank size is irrelevant.

CoryBoi
Yup! just don’t add new fish until the new canister filter runs WITH the 20 gallon cycled filter for a few weeks.

DixieTheDog
Alright, I will make sure not to add any new fish thanks.

Ryan921
I’ve always had better results using more filtration than necessary, so even though it works I’d suggest leaving both filters on your 55. Also, it’ll help you keep the parameters correct while the new filter cycles.

CoryBoi
I’ve always had better results using more filtration than necessary, so even though it works I’d suggest leaving both filters on your 55. Also, it’ll help you keep the parameters correct while the new filter cycles.
Did you read the first post? The op’s filter for the 55 has not arrived yet.

Advertisement
Ryan921
Right. And I was talking about after it arrives. The other guys already answered your question.

Ryan921
Did you read the first post? The op’s filter for the 55 has not arrived yet.
You* already answered his question.

DixieTheDog
Great idea! I will definitely do that.

mattgirl
So, I am going to buy a 55 gallon and I bought a canister filter online. The filter comes in 3 days and I am thinking about getting the 55 tomorrow. I also have a 20 gallon up right now with guppies and I am going to put them in the 55. So, I wondering if I could put the 20 gallon filter on the 55 with the guppies for a couple of days?
When you transfer the filter and the guppies over to the bigger tank be sure to move everything else over with them too. Bacteria grows on every thing in our tanks not just the filter media. Move all decor including plants if you have them in the 20. If you don't want to use the same substrate you can put some of it in media bags and place the media bags in the bigger tank until you are sure the 55 is stable.

Move the water too. There is no bacteria in the water but it is the water your fish are used to so by moving it they will just feel like they've had a 75% or so water change. I am a firm believer in fresh clean water but do err on the side of caution when the perimeters might be changed too much too quickly. In my humble opinion 100% water changes are too much.

DixieTheDog
Ok. I moved some of the water over and the substrate and hard scape. The fish are doing great and eating well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
Valencia2015
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views