20 Gallon Community With Gbr

jwde2009

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So we're trying to plan out our new 20 gallon community and I think we would like to get a handful of GBRs as our show fish. A few questions.

Are there any larger fish we could have in a community tank? What are some of the largest fish that would still allow for some cories at the bottom? If we switched to powder blue gourami or dwarf red flame gourami how does that affect possible tank mates?

Also, could I get some help fine tuning these stocking numbers?

2-4 GBR
8-12 Red wag platys
4-6 cories
Maybe a few snails

Anything else we cicou add?

Thanks for the help everyone!!

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jwde2009 said:
So we're trying to plan out our new 20 gallon community and I think we would like to get a handful of GBRs as our show fish. A few questions.

Are there any larger fish we could have in a community tank? What are some of the largest fish that would still allow for some cories at the bottom? If we switched to powder blue gourami or dwarf red flame gourami how does that affect possible tank mates?

Also, could I get some help fine tuning these stocking numbers?

2-4 GBR
8-12 Red wag platys
4-6 cories
Maybe a few snails

Anything else we cicou add?

Thanks for the help everyone!!
A 20 gallon really isn't that big of a tank. I would stick to fish that stay small as it will make it look larger. If you get schooling fish you are going to want more than 2. Cory cats are recommended to have 6 and I'm not sure you could put much more in a 20 gallon. Most fish require large numbers to be happy. If you were to get 8-12 platys you wouldn't have much room for anything else. I could be wrong but a 20 gallon seems to small. I would just toss 20 neon tetra in with a bunch of plants. Again I could be wrong about how much a 20 gallon can handle but what you have listed I'm sure would be extremely overstocked.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom