20 Gallon Community Tank

Wintersprite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello all, I just wanted to share some pictures of my first aquarium. I am sure it is the first of more to come lol. It is a 20 gallon high community tank. Right now it has one halfmoon betta, 8 harlequin rasboras (4 regular & 4 purple), and 6 otocinclus catfish. Later on I was possibly thinking about adding 2 platys; however, I am not sure if that would put me at being overstocked. For live plants I currently have 2 narrow leaf java ferns and a marimo moss ball. I am thinking about adding an anubias nana plant, but am not sure where I would place it right now. Anyways, here are the pictures and feel free to comment on anything that you think I could add or change.

Attachments

Gena

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pretty!

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know one thing! THAT is a colorful tank!!

If you ever saw Wizard of Oz...the old version.,..when Dorothy was in Kansas...and all through the tornado scene..it was in black and white, When she ended up in Oz..everything was in color. Well...tonight I was walking around..kind of bored...basically in black and white...then I saw your pictures...and I'm now in the land of Oz in full color!!!

Nice tank...and CLEAN!!!

Wintersprite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you both.

Chrt, I have seen the old version. I was trying to go for a colorful ocean/reef style theme. Course now I do want to try and add some more live plants which is why I was thinking about adding an anubias nana plant. Just need to figure out where I could put it.

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I dont know how much room is behind the vertical rock decor on the right side of the tank...but maybe some taller swords that would fan out from behind the stone would be nice. You have so much color in the tank...I'm not sure if a live green plant in the corner would work...but you already have some greenery in the front left. Off set it by placing one in the rear behind the rock as an accent!

PS...Beware though. Once you start adding green live plants..you will start removing the fake plants and substituting with live. Ask me how I know!!!!! I just redid the hardscaping on an African tank today. The old set up was way to hard to clean...so I simplified it..and I must say...it came out very nice. Redecorating tanks is a lot of fun..and keeps you entertained...as well as the fish! They give you that stupid dazed look for a while..but in reality..I think they like it. There I go...thinking for my fish!

Wintersprite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is a good idea chrt. Maybe I can find a sword to place in that back corner to where you can see the plant behind the purple reef part of the rock formation. That might look kind of neat. Just need to find out if swords would grow in my tank since my lighting is the led lights that came with my kit.

My only other thought was possibly placing an anubias nana plant in the front right corner where the blueish green plant is, but I am not sure if I want to remove that plant or not yet. So many different ideas with not enough space to do it all. I guess that is why people end up getting MTS lol.

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
orca0714 said:
Just need to find out if swords would grow in my tank since my lighting is the led lights that came with my kit.

So many different ideas with not enough space to do it all. I guess that is why people end up getting MTS lol.
You can try Amazon Swords. They need medium lighting...not sure about the kind of lights that you actually have on the tank set. I have had success in a 10 gallon quarantine tank that has a KIT light on it with Swords. Anubias or Java Fern would be great, but you wont get the height that youll need to peek out from behind the rock. Its a shot you can take!

MTS..... exactly! All you need is to see another cool fish or tank set up that wont work in your current tank...and PRESTO..a new tank appears!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads