20 Gallon Centrepiece Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Andromeda, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Andromeda Valued Member Member

Hi, at the moment I have a 20 gallon high, with 4 albino Corydoras, 2 albino bn plecos, 6 platies (no large flowing fins) .
    I was wondering whether I can stock one more betta in there as I've heard they are compatible with all the above fish. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I need to know if I'm overstocked. I'm mostly looking for an easily maintained centrepiece fish to complete my aquarium. It looks a bit empty with the Corydoras and plecos at the bottom and the platy up top.
    Thanks!

(p.s. Not a fan of shrimp or snails)

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  2. Fish tank Valued Member Member

I think the beta could but I would not. I would add some cardinal or neon tetras.

3. Andromeda Valued Member Member

Honestly, I was hoping for something bigger. A single, centrepiece fish, you know? And I'm absolutely in love with Bettas. The only reason I wouldn't add one would be if it would be bad for the fish.

4. Fish tank Valued Member Member

I will have to say some dwarf garamies or Mabey a female or a peaceful male beta if your heart disires

5. Ruby_house Valued Member Member

i think maybe a honey gourami could work

6. Fish tank Valued Member Member

I agree it will be a beautiful fish on display with the other fish surrounding it.

7. Andromeda Valued Member Member

Okay I could definitely look into it, thanks!

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I would say you are overstocked with the two plecos. Even one in this tank size isn't recommended. I'd then increase your shoal of corys to a total of 6.

I wouldn't recommend a betta in this tank. A honey gourami would definitely be better.

9. Fish tank Valued Member Member

I agreee

10. Andromeda Valued Member Member

My fish store wouldn't let me get just one. He said a tank my size would need 'at least' two. :/

11. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

That's unfortunate they would say that to you just to make a sale. No tank "needs" a pleco. I would take them back.

12. Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Then return the other one :), they can't force you too buy 2 and as mentioned above you don't need a pleco

You are already overstocked with the 2 BNs as they require at least a 30" tank and the corys should be in a group of 6. You are also pretty much done for with the platies. What gender are the platies?

13. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed with above

14. Andromeda Valued Member Member

4 female platies, 1 male and one newly added fry that I can't identify yet. [ ] I kept the ratio in mind when I got them. I've had the females for over a year now.

15. Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

It is better to have all males thus its best to not have any more fish since each of those females will give birth on average to 20-40 fry. With the females now older they will be able to reach those numbers.

16. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I would consider the honey guarami over the betta. The betta typically does better at warmer temperatures compared to the platy, who like it a little cooler. But, as others have mentioned, if you end up with breeding platys, which is pretty likely, you could develop some overstocking issues in the near future. Good luck!

17. Andromeda Valued Member Member

My platy fry go to a cousin, so that's really not a problem :) I only kept one fry because I want my platies to be at least 6.

My platies have managed in a mildly warm environment. I live in India so it never really gets cold here. I do what I can to keep the tank at a reasonable temperature.
    The only reason I'm not a fan of the honey gourami is because I have enough orange and red in my tank with the platies. It would hardly be a centrepiece.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  18. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

You're pretty stocked. If one or both plecos go back or get rehomed, you might consider a single angelfish for a centerpiece, although a 20 gallon tall is the very very minimum and it'd be a little tight for him.

19. Ruby_house Valued Member Member

if you got rid of the two plecos maybe you could add a dwarf gourami they come in different colour variations with most of them having a shiny blue.

20. Andromeda Valued Member Member

Okay, I'll speak to the store I got them from :)
    Thanks guys