Question 20 gallon centerpiece/oddball stocking ideas?

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
I am a beginner trying to get my first tank set up and have recently decided to get a 20 gallon tank rather than a 29 gallon. I was thinking to stock it with 6-8 panda cory catfish, 6-12 neon tetras and... I do not know any good centerpiece/oddball fish to put in with them. I do not know whether having a centerpiece and oddball would overstock the tank but if not that would be preferred. Thanks!

Butterfly fish? Dwarf Gourami perhaps?

Best Answer - View jkkgron2's answer

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gbrs arent temp compatible with neons but apistos could work if you give them caves. I think aquarium co-op made a video on top 10 centerpiece fish for a 20 gallon

DollyDolly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SnookusFish said:
Gbrs arent temp compatible with neons but apistos could work if you give them caves. I think aquarium co-op made a video on top 10 centerpiece fish for a 20 gallon
I keep my neons and Gbrs in 80 and they do great together. Dont see why neons wouldnt work

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dmandino9991 said:
I am a beginner
Rams and Apistos, eh? Rams and Apistos are in no way beginner fish. This is setting this new fishkeeper up to fail imo. Acouple of Honey Gourami would be nice (as long as you know how to tell the difference between Honey's and thick lipped).

OP
Dmandino9991

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
faydout said:
Rams and Apistos, eh? Rams and Apistos are in no way beginner fish. This is setting this new fishkeeper up to fail imo. A couple of Honey Gourami would be nice (as long as you know how to tell the difference between Honey's and thick lipped).
It probably does not help that I didn't know what an Apistogramma was before I saw this message. Perhaps a few Honey Gourami and a Butterfly Fish a the top?

Edit: Perhaps not butterfly fish as they seem aggressive and are confused with certain saltwater fish by name.

I would advise against GBR for begginers, rams in general. They have to have a really specific ph, need hotter water than most fish, are more susceptible to disease (When you get them from big box stores), is very sensitive to the changing of water, and need not just a cycled tank, but it has to have been running for a few months afterwards. But if you do get them make sure you study on symptoms of fish tuberculosis. GBR are very susceptible to it. And it can be spread to humans from rams, so keep an eye on them.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would do a trio of honey gouramis in a 20g for the centerpiece fish. They really are great fish and IME very hardy :)

OP
Dmandino9991

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
I would do a trio of honey gouramis in a 20g for the centerpiece fish. They really are great fish and IME very hardy :)
What does IME mean? Also does gender matter among the trio as I am not trying to breed them or have territorial issues?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dmandino9991 said:
What does IME mean? Also does gender matter among the trio as I am not trying to breed them or have territorial issues?
IME means In my experience. Gender doesn’t matter to much, if you can I would try to avoid multiple males but it shouldn’t make much difference. If you feel worried than you could get 5 and Reduce the amount of tetras to 7 ? That way the honey’s aggression should be spread out more but I doubt any issue would arise either way.

OP
Dmandino9991

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
faydout said:
As far as Honey's, being able to identify them vs. thick lipped is going to be important. Honey's do well as centerpeice fish in a 20. Thick lipped do not. Here's a good thread talking about how to tell them apart, so you get the right fish.

Is this a Honey Gourami? | 462678 | Honey Gourami
Thanks!

jkkgron2 said:
IME means In my experience. Gender doesn’t matter to much, if you can I would try to avoid multiple males but it shouldn’t make much difference. If you feel worried than you could get 5 and Reduce the amount of tetras to 7 ? That way the honey’s aggression should be spread out more but I doubt any issue would arise either way.
Does this mean that this tank would be at its stocking limit at 3 Honey Gourami, 12 Black Tetras, and 6-8 Panda Corydora or could I just squeeze in a Bristlenose Pleco or a Kuhli Loach?

Perhaps 5 Honey Gourami, 7 Black Tetras, 6-8 Panda Corydoras, and a bristlenose Pleco or a Kuhli Loach

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Dmandino9991 said:
Does this mean that this tank would be at its stocking limit at 3 Honey Gourami, 12 Black Tetras, and 6-8 Panda Corydora or could I just squeeze in a Bristlenose Pleco or a Kuhli Loach?
Hi there,

BN plecos grow too large for a 20 gallon and kuhli loaches need shoals of 6+, ideally more and you don't have space for that.

OP
Dmandino9991

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Hi there,

BN plecos grow too large for a 20 gallon and kuhli loaches need shoals of 6+, ideally more and you don't have space for that.
Thanks! Do you think the other fish would fit? Or do you know any other oddballs that would fit in with the 3-5 honey gourami, 7-12 Black Tetras, and 6-8 Panda Corydoras?

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Another option would be to do the tetras, cory's, and Kuhli's and call that good. There'd be plenty of activity in the tank (although a lot of Kuhli's won't come out during the day... out of my 12, 2 do) between the Tetras and Cory's. Cory's really have great, fun little personalities. It'd be a fun tank to sit and watch just like that. You don't necessarily need a "centerpiece."

ETA: It would also be a really peaceful tank. Even though the Cory's and Kuhlis are bottom fish, they're both really really peaceful.

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is this a 20 long or 20 tall because it does make a difference. I take it your tank is not setup yet?
If not I would stick to cheaper fish for the first few mo. till your tank has aged water in it and your filters are established. Are you ready to do water changes every week.

New Threads