20 Gallon Caridina Tank

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gonna test everything once I get home. I may be cycled. If that’s the case, I’m gonna get some snails.

So close. 0 ammonia .25 nitrite 5 nitrate.

Do I go with blue bolts or shadow mosuras once cycles and stable?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Do I go with blue bolts or shadow mosuras once cycles and stable?
Blue bolts are probably the more stable and easily kept of the two. However, if this is your first run with Caridina I suggest crystal reds/blacks and golden bees, as they are more forgiving with water parameters. Lower grade King Kongs/Pandas would also be a good choice.

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blue bolts are probably the more stable and easily kept of the two. However, if this is your first run with Caridina I suggest crystal reds/blacks and golden bees, as they are more forgiving with water parameters. Lower grade King Kongs/Pandas would also be a good choice.
Why are crystals more forgiving? Is it because they’ve been in the hobby longer?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Why are crystals more forgiving? Is it because they’ve been in the hobby longer?
Their line has been more stabilized than other Taiwan bees, and they will breed and survive in a wider range of water parameters. They do best in soft acidic water but it doesn't have to be as meticulously monitored as, say, red wine pintos or mosura blue bolts.

Crystal shrimp ideal parameters:

pH = 6.2 to 6.9
GH = 4 to 6
KH = >2
TDS = 150 to 180

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Their line has been more stabilized than other Taiwan bees, and they will breed and survive in a wider range of water parameters. They do best in soft acidic water but it doesn't have to be as meticulously monitored as, say, red wine pintos or mosura blue bolts.

Crystal shrimp ideal parameters:

pH = 6.2 to 6.9
GH = 4 to 6
KH = >2
TDS = 150 to 180
My parameters are these
Ph 6.4
Gh 7
Kh 0
TDS 120

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks good to me, my GH was 6 at 140 TDS.

I use Salty Shrimp Bee Salt GH+.
I use brightwell aquatics. How long do you normally wait after cycling to add shrimp?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I use brightwell aquatics. How long do you normally wait after cycling to add shrimp?
I basically insta-cycle my tanks. I move over established media and a handful of snails, then wait 4-6 weeks for the 5anks to stabilize and mature.

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just got some Nerites today. Also an amazon sword and dwarf hair grass. My crypts and Monte Carlo are all melting and I can’t figure out why.

Did the pics work or are they saying unavailable?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
New additions. MTS and a Saint Elmo’s fire amazon sword

Image1569444663.043676.jpg
Image1569444687.795166.jpg

The sword is a little beat up. He was in a tank and was being eaten on and I did some heavy pruning to remove the immersed growth.

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is this something to be worried about or are they roots? I’ve never grown Bolbitis before.
Image1569818025.703539.jpg

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look like roots. If you’re worried maybe clip that section and put it in another tank and see how it goes
Thank you!

I just moved my tank off my dresser so that it is lower and easier to get into.

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My tank has finally cycled. Do I let my plants grow in more before I get shrimp, or should I be good?

Top Bottom