20 Gallon Caridina Tank

Ariavin

Hey guys. Have my 20 gallon running that I’m eating cardina in.

Plants are:
Monte Carlo
Hygrophilia Difformis
Rotala rotundifolia
Crypts flamingo and undulata
Bolbitis
Java ferns windelov and Malay red
Anubius
Marimo

Gonna let everything grow in for a few months before I add anything to it.

DoraCory

That is going to look amazing when it grows out.

I don't recommend eating caridina there are bigger and meatier shrimp available

abbytherookiehuman

Lol typo? Everything looks good

Is that a big piece of Driftwood or something fake or...?

Ariavin

Oops. Yeah it was a typo. I was working on it for over 13 hours and didn’t finish it till after 2 am.

abbytherookiehuman said:
Lol typo? Everything looks good

Is that a big piece of Driftwood or something fake or...?
It’s a resin log.

Fahn

What type of caridina? Are you remineralizing your own water?

Ariavin

I’m thinking blue bolts. Not 100% sure yet. I will be. Waiting for my amazon order.

What types of snails can survive in a kh of 0? Don’t they all need some hardness in the water? Or is it just gh that they need? Calcium and such.

Fahn

Ariavin said:
What types of snails can survive in a kh of 0? Don’t they all need some hardness in the water? Or is it just gh that they need? Calcium and such.
Most of your readily available snails will be OK, but you need to provide them with a source of calcium. ZucchinI is readily accepted by all snails and shrimp and contains a good bit of calcium for healthy shells.

In my crystal red/black setup I kept ramshorns, got some shell pitting but that's to be expected in soft, acidic water.

Ariavin

Fahn said:
Most of your readily available snails will be OK, but you need to provide them with a source of calcium. ZucchinI is readily accepted by all snails and shrimp and contains a good bit of calcium for healthy shells.

In my crystal red/black setup I kept ramshorns, got some shell pitting but that's to be expected in soft, acidic water.
Awesome! Thank you!

What do you use besides zucchinI to help with calcium?

abbytherookiehuman

I have some aquarium safe cuttle bone and every few day I just scratch the surface and it sprinkles the dust into the water. You could also just chuck in a small piece that could leech out calcium or they could nibble on.

Ariavin

abbytherookiehuman said:
I have some aquarium safe cuttle bone and every few day I just scratch the surface and it sprinkles the dust into the water. You could also just chuck in a small piece that could leech out calcium or they could nibble on.
Awesome! How did you decide on which variation to get?

richiep

Most here will tell you I prefer to see calcium going into shrimp by way of food, all must be blanched or cooked so its soft enough for them to break up,
ZucchinI take the seeds out and disguard they will foul your water, cut into 1" chunks boil for 5 to 7 minutes, cool under tap and drop in, kale cut into 1 or 2" square and boil for 12 minutes,cool &add but hold down on the bottom, spinach blanch 40 seconds & cool, careful with this on as it will be very tender. BroccolI stem cook as normal cut into 2" length then down the middle just drop in,Rotate these once a week over 4 weeks is all you need, I have a huge list you can try if you want, to get them going on veg don't feed them anything for 2 or 3 days before trying for the first time, protein is also important so I feed frozen bloodworm once a week

abbytherookiehuman

Ariavin said:
Awesome! How did you decide on which variation to get?
I just got some off eBay

Ariavin

abbytherookiehuman said:
I just got some off eBay
What scared me about ordering from eBay is how do you know that they are a reputable breeder and don’t just churn and burn imports that could have diseases?

Fahn

Ariavin said:
What scared me about ordering from eBay is how do you know that they are a reputable breeder and don’t just churn and burn imports that could have diseases?
FlipAquatics.com, BuyPetShrimp.com, ShrimpFarm.com, SoShrimp (Amazon seller, currently constructing website), AquaticArts, and local breeders are the best places to buy Neocaridina if you are in the US.

richiep

The trouble with ebay most of the time the pictures they show on the advert are not what you get so make sure you ask the seller if they are the shrimp you'll get, I agree with Fahn buy off reputable breeders

Ariavin

I’m setting up a small Neocaridina tank and this one. Just trying to decide what colors I want.

I got my brightwell aquatics gh+ and gh/kh+. Attempting to remineralize my water. Gh 6 kh 0 ph 6.6.

abbytherookiehuman

Ariavin said:
Are you talking about cuttlebone or shrimp?

I’m getting my shrimp from a local breeder so I can see them first

Ariavin

Elkwatcher

That's one beautiful piece of driftwood, is it all one piece?

Ariavin

Elkwatcher said:
That's one beautiful piece of driftwood, is it all one piece?
It’s all one piece. It’s actually a resin decoration from Petsmart with all the plastic plants removed and love plants superglued in place.

abbytherookiehuman

Ariavin said:
Oh lol
I would recommend looking on your local craigslist or whatever and finding a local breeder so you can ask questions and choose which ones you get and see where they’ve come from

Ariavin

Gonna test everything once I get home. I may be cycled. If that’s the case, I’m gonna get some snails.

So close. 0 ammonia .25 nitrite 5 nitrate.

Do I go with blue bolts or shadow mosuras once cycles and stable?

Fahn

Ariavin said:
Do I go with blue bolts or shadow mosuras once cycles and stable?
Blue bolts are probably the more stable and easily kept of the two. However, if this is your first run with Caridina I suggest crystal reds/blacks and golden bees, as they are more forgiving with water parameters. Lower grade King Kongs/Pandas would also be a good choice.

Ariavin

Fahn said:
Blue bolts are probably the more stable and easily kept of the two. However, if this is your first run with Caridina I suggest crystal reds/blacks and golden bees, as they are more forgiving with water parameters. Lower grade King Kongs/Pandas would also be a good choice.
Why are crystals more forgiving? Is it because they’ve been in the hobby longer?

Fahn

Ariavin said:
Why are crystals more forgiving? Is it because they’ve been in the hobby longer?
Their line has been more stabilized than other Taiwan bees, and they will breed and survive in a wider range of water parameters. They do best in soft acidic water but it doesn't have to be as meticulously monitored as, say, red wine pintos or mosura blue bolts.

Crystal shrimp ideal parameters:

pH = 6.2 to 6.9
GH = 4 to 6
KH = >2
TDS = 150 to 180

Ariavin

Fahn said:
Their line has been more stabilized than other Taiwan bees, and they will breed and survive in a wider range of water parameters. They do best in soft acidic water but it doesn't have to be as meticulously monitored as, say, red wine pintos or mosura blue bolts.

Crystal shrimp ideal parameters:

pH = 6.2 to 6.9
GH = 4 to 6
KH = >2
TDS = 150 to 180
My parameters are these
Ph 6.4
Gh 7
Kh 0
TDS 120

Fahn

Ariavin said:
My parameters are these
Ph 6.4
Gh 7
Kh 0
TDS 120
Looks good to me, my GH was 6 at 140 TDS.

I use Salty Shrimp Bee Salt GH+.

Ariavin

Fahn said:
Looks good to me, my GH was 6 at 140 TDS.

I use Salty Shrimp Bee Salt GH+.
I use brightwell aquatics. How long do you normally wait after cycling to add shrimp?

Fahn

Ariavin said:
I use brightwell aquatics. How long do you normally wait after cycling to add shrimp?
I basically insta-cycle my tanks. I move over established media and a handful of snails, then wait 4-6 weeks for the 5anks to stabilize and mature.

abbytherookiehuman

It says it doesn’t exist

Ariavin

abbytherookiehuman said:
It says it doesn’t exist
Ok. Let’s try this again.

abbytherookiehuman

Can I just say I love your tank and it's gorgeous

Ariavin

New additions. MTS and a Saint Elmo’s fire amazon sword

The sword is a little beat up. He was in a tank and was being eaten on and I did some heavy pruning to remove the immersed growth.

Ariavin

Is this something to be worried about or are they roots? I’ve never grown Bolbitis before.

abbytherookiehuman

They look like roots. If you’re worried maybe clip that section and put it in another tank and see how it goes

Ariavin

abbytherookiehuman said:
They look like roots. If you’re worried maybe clip that section and put it in another tank and see how it goes
Thank you!

I just moved my tank off my dresser so that it is lower and easier to get into.

Ariavin

My tank has finally cycled. Do I let my plants grow in more before I get shrimp, or should I be good?

Fahn

Ariavin said:
My tank has finally cycled. Do I let my plants grow in more before I get shrimp, or should I be good?
I'd give it at minimum 2 more weeks post cycling before adding shrimp.

abbytherookiehuman

Ariavin said:
I have decided to let the plants grow in as this means they will be able to establish roots and all that jazz before anything else comes in and disturbs it. Remember one step at a time. Don't do everything at once

Ariavin

Fahn said:
I'd give it at minimum 2 more weeks post cycling before adding shrimp.
abbytherookiehuman said:
I have decided to let the plants grow in as this means they will be able to establish roots and all that jazz before anything else comes in and disturbs it. Remember one step at a time. Don't do everything at once
Sounds good. Thanks guys. I’ll give it a few more weeks. Once I get home from work tonight, I’ll post some 1 month update photos.

zby67

LOOKS good my friend! kinda makes me want to rescape my tank lol

Ariavin

zby67 said:
LOOKS good my friend! kinda makes me want to rescape my tank lol
Thank you!

Ariavin

Here are the pics.
Started it up 1 month ago. Please ignore the water spots on the glass

abbytherookiehuman

It looks incredible. I wish my plants would grow out like that!! What ferts and lighting are you using?

Ariavin

abbytherookiehuman said:
It looks incredible. I wish my plants would grow out like that!! What ferts and lighting are you using?
I use Aqueon aquarium plant food. The 0-0-1. And flourish tabs in the substrate it’s mostly inert with a little fluval stratum mixed in. A little flourish iron and flourish root tabs. Lighting is a 2 bulb fluval t-5

Ariavin

How long does it take for Amazon Swords to send up new leaves? I’m waiting on my saint elmo’s Fire to send up new growth. Had it for just over a month.

Ariavin

Just ordered my blue bolts. I’m excited.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom