20 Gallon Caridina Tank

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey guys. Have my 20 gallon running that I’m eating cardina in.

IMG_0702.JPG

Plants are:
Monte Carlo
Hygrophilia Difformis
Rotala rotundifolia
Crypts flamingo and undulata
Bolbitis
Java ferns windelov and Malay red
Anubius
Marimo

Gonna let everything grow in for a few months before I add anything to it.

DoraCory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That is going to look amazing when it grows out.

I don't recommend eating caridina there are bigger and meatier shrimp available

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oops. Yeah it was a typo. I was working on it for over 13 hours and didn’t finish it till after 2 am.

Lol typo? Everything looks good

Is that a big piece of Driftwood or something fake or...?
It’s a resin log.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m thinking blue bolts. Not 100% sure yet. I will be. Waiting for my amazon order.

What types of snails can survive in a kh of 0? Don’t they all need some hardness in the water? Or is it just gh that they need? Calcium and such.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
What types of snails can survive in a kh of 0? Don’t they all need some hardness in the water? Or is it just gh that they need? Calcium and such.
Most of your readily available snails will be OK, but you need to provide them with a source of calcium. Zucchini is readily accepted by all snails and shrimp and contains a good bit of calcium for healthy shells.

In my crystal red/black setup I kept ramshorns, got some shell pitting but that's to be expected in soft, acidic water.

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most of your readily available snails will be OK, but you need to provide them with a source of calcium. Zucchini is readily accepted by all snails and shrimp and contains a good bit of calcium for healthy shells.

In my crystal red/black setup I kept ramshorns, got some shell pitting but that's to be expected in soft, acidic water.
Awesome! Thank you!

What do you use besides zucchini to help with calcium?

abbytherookiehuman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have some aquarium safe cuttle bone and every few day i just scratch the surface and it sprinkles the dust into the water. You could also just chuck in a small piece that could leech out calcium or they could nibble on.

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have some aquarium safe cuttle bone and every few day i just scratch the surface and it sprinkles the dust into the water. You could also just chuck in a small piece that could leech out calcium or they could nibble on.
Awesome! How did you decide on which variation to get?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most here will tell you I prefer to see calcium going into shrimp by way of food, all must be blanched or cooked so its soft enough for them to break up,
Zucchini take the seeds out and disguard they will foul your water, cut into 1" chunks boil for 5 to 7 minutes, cool under tap and drop in, kale cut into 1 or 2" square and boil for 12 minutes,cool &add but hold down on the bottom, spinach blanch 40 seconds & cool, careful with this on as it will be very tender. Broccoli stem cook as normal cut into 2" length then down the middle just drop in,Rotate these once a week over 4 weeks is all you need, I have a huge list you can try if you want, to get them going on veg dont feed them anything for 2 or 3 days before trying for the first time, protein is also important so I feed frozen bloodworm once a week

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
What scared me about ordering from eBay is how do you know that they are a reputable breeder and don’t just churn and burn imports that could have diseases?
FlipAquatics.com, BuyPetShrimp.com, ShrimpFarm.com, SoShrimp (Amazon seller, currently constructing website), AquaticArts.com, and local breeders are the best places to buy Neocaridina if you are in the US.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The trouble with ebay most of the time the pictures they show on the advert are not what you get so make sure you ask the seller if they are the shrimp you'll get, I agree with @Fahn buy off reputable breeders

Ariavin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m setting up a small Neocaridina tank and this one. Just trying to decide what colors I want.

I got my brightwell aquatics gh+ and gh/kh+. Attempting to remineralize my water. Gh 6 kh 0 ph 6.6.

abbytherookiehuman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What scared me about ordering from eBay is how do you know that they are a reputable breeder and don’t just churn and burn imports that could have diseases?
Are you talking about cuttlebone or shrimp?

I’m getting my shrimp from a local breeder so i can see them first

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom