20 Gallon build

aquachris

Guess this could be considered a nano... This is my 20 gallon build that I plan to make into a mini reef like tank.

Current live stock:
1 or 2 nerite snails (forgo5t how many I put in lol)
2 hermit crabs
2 Ocellaris clownfish
2 black mollies.

Equipment and costs...
20 Gallon Long Aqueon with lid - $30 (ballpark as I bought many used, this includes the price of the rack its in and other gear I'm not using)
Fluval Sea CP1 circulation pump - $33 (I know I paid more, but it was one I used for a quarantine and forgot I needed one so had to buy at the store)
About 15 lbs or so of live rock (ballparking, no idea really) - $15 (I bought the rock for $1/pound in a large bulk)
Carribsea some kind of sand mix - $5 - I bought this in bulk a long time ago dirt cheap (pun intended)
Aquaclear 50 HOB filter - $?? No idea as I already had it
Generic 120W LED reef light (blue/white options with intensity dials) - $?? No idea as I already had it from another purchase years ago
Jager 75W heater - $23
Total cost: $106

Here was my original build - I was trying a 14 gallon cube. I ended up not liking it because the clowns just didnt seem to have the room I wanted:

1612222890130.png

Here is after getting it setup on and getting everyone moved over and additional rockwork. The clowns love cruising in and out of the cave.

1612222985268.png
Here is with Blue light

1612223192268.png

Day 2 sand has fully settled...

1612223249470.png
Day 2 moon light:

1612224436541.png

Sorry for terrible pics, my camera really sucks on my cell.

Equipment Wants (future things):
ATO
Aquaclear 70 or 50 for a fuge
Maybe a skimmer - but water changes in this small are easy.
Another Rock that is a ledge to go between the two "islands" or rock (shelf rock)
Better wavemaker

Future Livestock:
A shrimp of some kind (skunk or blood fire red maybe?)
Couple more hermit crabs
Different types of snails
1 or 2 other small fish
- If you have any ideas/suggestions please comment!

Will probably move the mollies in the future too, for now just tossed them in there. Might set them in a qt tank to keep it cycled and ready with salt.

Aiden77

Guess this could be considered a nano... This is my 20 gallon build that I plan to make into a mini reef like tank.

Current live stock:
1 or 2 nerite snails (forgo5t how many I put in lol)
2 hermit crabs
2 Ocellaris clownfish
2 black mollies.

Equipment and costs...
20 Gallon Long Aqueon with lid - $30 (ballpark as I bought many used, this includes the price of the rack its in and other gear I'm not using)
Fluval Sea CP1 circulation pump - $33 (I know I paid more, but it was one I used for a quarantine and forgot I needed one so had to buy at the store)
About 15 lbs or so of live rock (ballparking, no idea really) - $15 (I bought the rock for $1/pound in a large bulk)
Carribsea some kind of sand mix - $5 - I bought this in bulk a long time ago dirt cheap (pun intended)
Aquaclear 50 HOB filter - $?? No idea as I already had it
Generic 120W LED reef light (blue/white options with intensity dials) - $?? No idea as I already had it from another purchase years ago
Jager 75W heater - $23
Total cost: $106

Here was my original build - I was trying a 14 gallon cube. I ended up not liking it because the clowns just didnt seem to have the room I wanted:

1612222890130.png

Here is after getting it setup on and getting everyone moved over and additional rockwork. The clowns love cruising in and out of the cave.

1612222985268.png
Here is with Blue light

1612223192268.png

Day 2 sand has fully settled...

1612223249470.png
Day 2 moon light:

1612224436541.png

Sorry for terrible pics, my camera really sucks on my cell.

Equipment Wants (future things):
ATO
Aquaclear 70 or 50 for a fuge
Maybe a skimmer - but water changes in this small are easy.
Another Rock that is a ledge to go between the two "islands" or rock (shelf rock)
Better wavemaker

Future Livestock:
A shrimp of some kind (skunk or blood fire red maybe?)
Couple more hermit crabs
Different types of snails
1 or 2 other small fish
- If you have any ideas/suggestions please comment!

Will probably move the mollies in the future too, for now just tossed them in there. Might set them in a qt tank to keep it cycled and ready with salt.
I wouldn’t worry about getting a skimmer unless you are doing montipora and acros and other encrusting corals. Skimmers can be finicky and are useless in a soft coral or fish only tank. They also can be quite difficult to tune and maintain.

aquachris

I wouldn’t worry about getting a skimmer unless you are doing montipora and acros and other encrusting corals. Skimmers can be finicky and are useless in a soft coral or fish only tank. They also can be quite difficult to tune and maintain.
I don't think I plan on that. Haven't looked into what I want yet in corals. I do want a bta and for coral I'm slightly drawn to simple things like zoas and even frogspawn (I know both can overtake quickly).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aquachris
  • Question
Replies
Views
N13
Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
Replies