20 Gallon Blog

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
11-7
Brought tank to the school and set it up. Took 2 hours to fill the tank.. Then realizing it was in a bad spot, draining it, moving it, then refilling it.

All current stock was moved to the 20 including plants. I wanted to wait any buy some PFS but couldn't help moving the gravel and plants. I'll need more substrate anyways lol

Current stock as of 11/11:
2 Platy (pair)
7 Platy fry
5 Convict Cichlid fry
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
5 Ghost Shrimp
1 Adopted Fry (Platy or Guppy)

1 java fern
1 split in two amazon sword
1 unknown plant that has been the only one to take root in the 10G and start growing in just 2 weeks.

I made a little cave out of driftwood as rocks for the fish to hide while the kids terrorize them -.- I had to nearly slap a kid for putting his hands in the tank

Right now I have a small heater that was moved from the 10. I'll upgrade that when I get my first check $-$

Currently running the Aqeuon 10g filter from the 10 as well as an Aqua Clear 70 that I got with the tank. The AQ 70 is set as low as it can go due to the flow. Poor fry were riding the current around and around.

I also have the lighted hood from the 10 set sideways and secured to the top of the 20 for now until I can get one of those folding glass tops and a light.

The Pleco seems quite happy that he has space, as well as the Platy. They're all fine up until 18 kids come rushing to the tank. Gah. I need to find a way to get them to back off.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
... Gah. I need to find a way to get them to back off.
Kill them *L*

I mean-- Hi!

I had a 25 or 30 high, and a 10 gallon for a short time, set up in my Environmental Biology class last year. I had to tell more than one kid off for being jerks.

Soon though, the novelty wore off, and they started leaving the tanks alone. I liked to watch the fish rather than do my work ;D My teacher didn't really care because I always had the highest grade in the class anyway lol

I would love to see the cave you made. Sounds nice! Heck, I'd like to see the whole tank ;D

Good luck with it

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It hard to get clear pics due to three of the sides of the aquarium being painted black by the former owner -.- ill see if turning all the room lights off and just lighting the tank will help.

The second pic is a close - up of that unknown plant, which is at the entrance to the Platy cave. They have to swim through the leaves to get in lol. So they like it.

Attachments

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yessssss! I love that plant that grew out near the cave, so I'll hunt down more of those. I'd like it to be moderately heavily planted, if that makes sense lol.

Is it sad I was getting in my car and before even turning it on I got on here to see if anyone replies to my threads? Lol. I'm so weird. Off to the casa I go!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yessssss! I love that plant that grew out near the cave, so I'll hunt down more of those. I'd like it to be moderately heavily planted, if that makes sense lol.

Is it sad I was getting in my car and before even turning it on I got on here to see if anyone replies to my threads? Lol. I'm so weird. Off to the casa I go!

Don't worry, FishLore and FaceBook and my other assorted forums are the first things I do in the morning, and after my classes

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Went to Petsmart to get Ghost Shrimp and found out when they have baby fish they'll give them to you for free. So I adopted an unknown fry. Looks like a guppy or Platy fry. It's tiny, so I can't tell. And got the shrimp. They were all mixed into different tanks so I'm pretty confident they'll survive. I also asked the woman to only get me the big guys lol. I have a monster of a shrimp and 4 pretty big ones so I got 6 new additions and only spent $1.79. Woo!

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh and the other day i got one of those clear foldy tops for the tank. It's big but it covers the tank free, of course.

pirahnah3

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great deal on the ghosts, at the store near me they want .50 a piece for them or more. I was going to but figured they wouldnt make it past my black skirts lol

So wheres the pics now? common shutterbug

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'll be back at the school
Monday to take more pics lol.

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
All the ghosties are still accounted for. The Platy fry are getting pretty big I can only count 4 as of right now but who knows. The Convict fry still stick together, except one. He made his territory already lol.

If anyone remembers how I left a fry in the 10 (couldn't find him come moving time) ...
I found him! Caught him, and put him in the 20 breeder net. He's still super small. Poor guy I thought he was already a goner so I never bothered to put food in the 10G
Also, the 10 has no heater so he was in super cold water with the snails. I let him float in a clear plastic cup for 3min to warm up. He still acts really scared. He's about half the size of his siblings too. Cute guy. He's my special little survivor

I moved one of the "trumpet" looking snails to the 20. He's following the shrimp. Lol.

Also, mama Platy is preggers again -.- this time nature will take its course. Sounds cruel but I hope for 0 survivors. Cause I do not feel like fishing those guys out to give to the science teacher lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom