Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

20 Gallon Aquarium Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Katiesue, Feb 7, 2019.

1. KatiesueNew MemberMember

Hello! We have a fairly new tank, and it has cycled. It is 20 gallons, and we've been adding a few fish a week to it. So far, we have 4 platies, 2 mollies, a candy stripe pleco, a mystery snail, and 6 neon tetras. According to Aqadvisor, that comes to 82% stocked. I'm getting a better filter, and after I do, my kids would like one more fish. They've had their eyes on a Dwarf Gourami. But, I've read a lot about disease with these fish and it has me nervous. Any other suggestions for an eye catching fish that would work in our community tank? Or are the Dwarf Gourami problems not as bad as they sound? Thank you so much!!

2. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

Look into Honey Gourami. I think it's a better, healthier alternative to a Dwarf Gourami.

3. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to the fishlore forum.

The Aqadvisor site is a good tool to get a very basic picture of stocking, but it's far from reliable.

I plugged in everything about my 20g into that site one time, I think it advised my tank was about to implode.

If you get another filter, may I suggest running it side-by-side with the current one.

That way you dont lose your cycle all at once.

We bought our first tank this time last year, and it was also a 20g. It's running with 2x hang on back (HOB's) filters and a sponge filter driven by an airpump.

It is stocked with a lot more than yours and I am able to keep the ammonia and nitrites at 0 ppm and the nitrates very manageable with substrate vacs and water changes every 7-10 days.

Here is a link for a thread on the forum for effective and inexpensive ways to use DIY filter media to increase both mechanical and biological filtration.

Even if your filter is not the same as the ones mentioned on the link, it will point you in the right direction.

I agree with @candiedragon about the honey gourami.

Another option similar to the Honey is the Thick Lipped Sunset Gourami.

I have 3 and they have been hardy and non-agressive to their tankmates in my 75g. They seem to recognize me and come up to the glass.

As far as stocking suggestions, look into kuhli loaches. They have very small bio-loads and when you group them into at least 6 and give them a few places to hide, they become very entertaining.

Mine come out all the time. When they have more than one place to hide, they get comfortable and will come out more often. They come in a striped and a black/java variety.

If you get guppy's of any variety, please get only males. They are live bearers and will start to multiply with a bunch of fry.