20 Gallon Aquarium Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by DanniD, Apr 17, 2018.

1. DanniD

DanniD Valued Member Member

Hi all!

Quick question but probably more of a sanity check... I have an established 20 gallon tank with the following stock:
    3 Chocolate Gouramis
    6 Lampeye Killifish
    4 Otocinclus
    1 German Gold Ram

I'm having some aggression problems with *one* particular chocolate gourami who is always bothering the other two. These chocolates are my pride and joy so I'm thinking about how to disperse this aggression. My conclusion: add 3 more chocolate gouramis.

Would that overstock my tank? I'm seriously considering re-homing my lampeyes if that's the case although I don't want to :(

2. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

Do you already have a lot of hiding places/heavily planted? If not, that would be my first inclination to try to help with you aggression.
    Also, what male to female ratio do you have in the gouramis?

3. OP
    OP
    DanniD

Tank is heavily planted so there are plenty of hiding places... None of the other chocolates show signs of stress as they just go away and hide. Can't tell what the male/female ratio is... because only the one is usually out and the others will keep their fins lose to their body.

4. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

What if you just swapped out the aggressive one?
    I'm just thinking adding more will overstock your tank, but I don't want you to have to give up the killifish.

5. OP
    OP
    DanniD

I do love my killies but my chocolates are the real gems for me. I'd rather see more of them and hopefully some schooling behavior. All my research on chocolates show that they do well in higher numbers

6. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

IMO that would overstock your tank. It's borderline overstocked already. I would rehome the killies or swap out the aggressive gourami

7. somethingingthewater

somethingingthewater New Member Member

I would lean to the opinion that the tank is already overstocked, and would certainly not add more potentially aggressive fish. Sorry, but you might have to choose between your chocolates and killifish.

8. OP
    OP
    DanniD

Appreciate all the responses! But I don't consider my tank overstocked... Water parameters great and I work very hard to keep Ph and Nitrates low. No problems with aggression among tankmates EXCEPT for that *one* chocolate... Now I would consider adding any more fish overstocking from all your opinions... Looks like I'll be re-homing the killies (they eat a ton anyway!) and probably go for 2 more chocolates to create a better environment for them. If the one chocolate doesn't calm down, he'll probably get rehomed too :(

9. penguin02

Overstocking can be okay if you're willing to do extra maintenance and don't have any problems. But since you're having aggression issues, it's probably better to lower your stocking levels by rehoming the killies. You could always get another tank.... ;)

10. OP
    OP
    DanniD

Don't tempt me!! :wideyed: I've already got a gardneri killifish species tank in the pipeline

11. penguin02

LOL. It's a constant struggle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice