20 Gallon Amazon Biotope Ideas!

Starfruit
I currently have this 20 gallon tank (photo included) that has a hob filter, heater, driftwood, rocks, sand and 8 assorted Corydoras.

I was thinking what fish I could add with these Corydoras and what stuff I should add to this tank (example: more types of wood, placement of different plants, etc)

Thanks

image.jpg
image.jpg

juniperlea
I currently have this 20 gallon tank (photo included) that has a hob filter, heater, driftwood, rocks, sand and 8 assorted Corydoras.

I was thinking what fish I could add with these Corydoras and what stuff I should add to this tank (example: more types of wood, placement of different plants, etc)

Thanks

View attachment 640166View attachment 640167
Nice driftwood..... a Bristlenose pleco would love the driftwood. I think I would get plants of various heights and place them in and around the wood, but leaving the 'branches always visible. My favorite back drop to a tank is a mirror. That way, you cover the back and you can see two of everything!

MacZ
Really nice hardscape! o.o Vaguely same dimensions as my tank. Love it!

Plantwise: amazon sword and frogbit would be my go to. Maybe a Vallisneria or Crypt. If you don't care were the plants actually come from go for Anubias aswell.

Other stuff: Botanicals! If you go for biotope. Leaf litter, seed capsules etc. The scape screams leaf litter bed to me.

Fishwise: A small school (8-10) of shoaling tetras, of course corys (5-8), plecos (you might not want to take a normal bristlenose in that tank-size, but please stay away from Otos under any circumstances) and dwarf cichlids (1 pair). Pencilfish would also be an option, though they jump. Hatchetfish would also fit in the biotope, I think the surface-area would be too small for them though.

KingJamal2
Do a school of neons. I love neons.

MacZ
Joshaeus
Nice start! What are the PH, KH (carbonate hardness), and GH (general hardness) of the tank? Most amazonian fish are going to prefer neutral or slightly acidic conditions with low to moderate KH and GH (unless they are Rio Negro fish, which strongly prefer very acidic conditions with almost no KH or GH or much of anything else dissolved in the water, for that matter).

DoubleDutch
Leaflitter ?

ProudPapa
Some Cryptocoryne WendtiI would look good planted against the rock piles.

DoubleDutch
Some Cryptocoryne WendtiI would look good planted against the rock piles.
That's an Asian plant.

ProudPapa
That's an Asian plant.

Never mind then (but it would still look good).

DoubleDutch
Never mind then (but it would still look good).
It is a very decorative plant that I love and that are in all my South Amerasian tanks hahaha.

Starfruit
Here is an update on my 20 gallon amazon biotope tank!

Feedback is appreciated

image.jpg

KingJamal2
More plants!

honorstoise
Maybe a java fern or anubias to attach to the wood

MacZ
Veeery nice. Floating plants would (literally) top it of.

And maybe 1-2 more swords.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views
Marie1
Replies
Views
hgrad98
Replies