20 Gallon: Adding a Ram

1. fighter55 Member Member

Hey everyone! Since my friend just lost his job I have taken his 20 gallon along with his Electric Blue Ram. I figured out the stock in my previous thread, which is:
    1 Electric Blue Ram
    1 Honey Gourami
    5 Panda Cories
    7 Red Phantom Tetras

I liked this stock a lot, but now I kinda want another Ram. I was at my LFS today, picking up some banana shrimp for my brother's(bigblue55) 40 gallon tank with 2 Spotted Ctenopoma and 8 Giant Danios. At my LFS they had some really gorgeous Gold Rams. Since the Blue Ram is still a juvie(1 1/2 inches. My friend said he was 3, but he lied). I was wondering: If I got a female gold ram, would they pair off and mate? And if I got another Ram, what changes would i have to make to my stock?

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I think you would be fine adding one more RAM. As for pairing off, that is kind of up to them.:;b Hopefully they will get along.:-*

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

is it a 20 high or a 20 long? it can make a difference. You should be ok either way but it can change your stocking options on occasion.

4. fighter55 Member Member

It's a 20 Long. Not sure of dimensions though.

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

def all set then, there is a lot more swimming area in the 20 long over the 20 high

20 Long 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 12 3/4

6. fighter55 Member Member

In hindsight, I don't really want to deal with that much fry :p. Would two males work??

7. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I have two males and they get along just fine. No problems.

8. fighter55 Member Member

Hopefully if I get another ram it will be that way. Good thing they aren't like bettas that kill on sight :)

9. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Believe it or not, but I actually have 2 Bettas in a 20 gallon tank. Each has settled on an area and could care less that the other one is there. But, I think they are not very aggressive as Bettas go and this is an acception to the rule.:;sharkie1:;jaws

10. fighter55 Member Member

Wow. Never expected to see that. I put a bag of danios next to my brother's betta tank and the thing tried to get at them.

11. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

it depends on the betta(my betta used to chase minnows but he got tired of it)

12. Fall River Member Member

I had a Betta in a 20h, and he wouldn't tolerate ANY other fish, not even cories. I got him his own 5gal. I felt bad taking away 75% of his tank space, but he just would not play nice.

13. fighter55 Member Member

That's usually the case with bettas sadly :(

14. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Even if you do get a female gold ram, keep in mind that they may never pair off and produce fry. As with any fish, they may or may not get along. All of my Bolivian's get along great as do my GBR's. I have multiple males/females of each with no issues at all.

15. fighter55 Member Member

That's what I'm hoping will happen. I plan on getting another male ram, but I don't want any issues.

16. Gamer Well Known Member Member

I like this stock alot. I am in the process of stocking my 20 long and hope I can use this one as an example.

As for keeping 2 male bettas in a 20. My mind is blown. Though I've seen it done in bigger tanks. Very cool.