20 Gallon 1 Year Update And Questions 20 Gallon Tank

1. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

I've had my 20 gallon planted community tank established for almost a year now, and as I recently just did a major water change, re-arranged the aquascape, and wiped all my equipment down, I felt it would be a good time to update.

Originally, I started with 1 female pearl gourami, 10 zebra danios, and 9 Amano shrimp. Saddly, 5 zebra danios died off relatively quickly from internal parasites I assume they had come from the lfs with, I treated the tank and all other fish survived. I added 3 more zebra danios to bring that number up to 8. Fast forward about 9 months later where nothing has been added in terms of fish stocking. I've been doing regular water changes, at 50% every 2 weeks or so. now I have 1 pearl gourami(who has grown about an inch in the past 10 months), 7 zebra danios, and 7 Amano shrimp. I have no clue what happened to the 1 danio and 2 shrimp, but all the others seem to be fine. The main reason I ended up "overhauling" the tank's layout and a very large water change was because I noticed damage on my pearl gourami's tail fin, previously when I had to deal with zebra danios coming home with tail rot, I treated with salt, but this isn't nearly as bad so would stress guard and frequent water changes be enough?

For plants I have 9 stems of some sort of ludwigia, it's pretty red though so I assume it's happy, 2 anubias, too many stems of anacharis, micro sword, an argentine sword, and some small windelov java ferns.

My current equipment is an aquaclear 50 (motor went out for a week, and so now I'm doing a minor cycle and treating with prime and stress guard to try to keep all fish alive), a 150 watt aqueon pro heater, A finnex 24/7 planted+ SE, and a DIY CO2 system that hasn't been running for about 6 months despite how easy I made changing out the CO2 semi-monthly.

Anyways, my question is this. About 9 months ago I noticed some mini ramshorn snails. Now, these guys aren't like normal ramshorns, I feed moderately, do random 10% water changes with the gravel vac whenever I feel like there's a significant amount of detritus in the aquarium, and crush them when I see them... Theres still too many. They reproduce extremely fast and I find them everywhere when I look closely. I don't necessarily mind having a bunch of mini ramshorn snails at this point, but it did introduce me to a new species I am interested in keeping, being dwarf chain loaches.

I want to know, would it be okay to add 1 more zebra danio, along with 6 dwarf chain loaches to complete the stocking (after the tank finishes its mini-cycle of course)? From what I've gathered that would be an acceptable max stock for a 20 gallon long, planted tank. And also, where could I find them for less than or equal to $10 per loach online? They seem really hard to find, and the only in-stock ones i can find were $14 each. If anyone has noticed these guys are in-stock on any online fish stores, i would appreciate it if you could post the link here. Thanks.

Finnally, what plant(s) should I get to fill in the empty forground on the right side of the tank? Anything that is fine in medium light with low intensity co2 injection should be fine.
    IMG_1669.JPG IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1682.JPG

2. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Looks good. Id think you could add quite a few more Zebras if you wanted. A 20 gallon with that many plants and driftwood, and only 2 fish species, you could keep a nice little school of zebras in there.

3. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Evem with the dwarf loaches?

4. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

I dont see why not. The Dwarf Chain Loach is a small, bottom dweller. You definitely dont want to add everything all at once though. A few fish at a time, once every 4-6 weeks maybe.

5. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Zebras can get nippy. Maybe that's what happened to the Gourami's tail.

6. OP
    OP
    DylanM

The black edge hints at fin rot, this seems to be a very minor case tho.

7. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Anyone know where I can find dwarf chain loaches online?

8. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

Finding them for $10 or less each online WITH shipping is going to be a feat.
    You might just have to set a Craigslist alert and wait. You could also try posting in the buy/sell/trade forum here.
    Tank looks great- good luck!