Help 20 gal tank high ammonia need advice. Welcome to me trying to understand the cycle.

frogmastertimmy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Trying to find a product to lower the ammonia in my tank (am currently using seachem prime and water changes). I was told to use nitra zorb but idk what will fit in my filter. I Would prefer to buy off of amazon to hurry the shipping but other sites are welcome. In general i need a product similar to nitrazorb to help fix my tank

Best Answer - View StarGirl's answer

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
frogmastertimmy said:
Trying to find a product to lower the ammonia in my tank (am currently using seachem prime and water changes). I was told to use nitra zorb but idk what will fit in my filter. I Would prefer to buy off of amazon to hurry the shipping but other sites are welcome. In general i need a product similar to nitrazorb to help fix my tank
It shouldn’t be an issue fitting in any HOB filter. I have used zeolite crystals during a fish-in cycle which is a similar concept but just know that things like this slowly remove anmonia. It’s also not a permanent solution, just to be used during ammonia spikes dying a fish in-cycle. It can help keep the water safe while the tank is cycling but won’t remove large amounts of ammonia. Just something to keep in mind.

Is your tank cycling? How high are your ammonia readings?

OP
frogmastertimmy

frogmastertimmy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Prime is awesome.

How old is tank?
Size?
Stock?
Planted?
i have had the tank for 2 months now and it has 9 fish in it 5 molly 1 swordtail 1 platy and 2 corydoras it is a 20 gallon. I dont have any plants besides a moss ball as i wanted to invest my money into a testing kit instead. readings are 2.0 or 4.0 ammonia .5 or 1 nitrite and 5.0 nitrate

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
frogmastertimmy said:
i have had the tank for 2 months now and it has 9 fish in it 5 molly 1 swordtail 1 platy and 2 corydoras it is a 20 gallon. I dont have any plants besides a moss ball as i wanted to invest my money into a testing kit instead.
Just a quick recommendation: get more corys if uh can. They are schooling fish and need groups of 6+. Test kits are a total mush. No way to know if a tank is cycled without one. Invest in the API freshwater master test kit. Best one for your money. $23 on amazon!

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
frogmastertimmy said:
i have had the tank for 2 months now and it has 9 fish in it 5 molly 1 swordtail 1 platy and 2 corydoras it is a 20 gallon. I dont have any plants besides a moss ball as i wanted to invest my money into a testing kit instead.
I'm almost positive not cycled. Get test kit and read about cycling w prime.

OP
frogmastertimmy

frogmastertimmy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FreshwaterHG said:
It shouldn’t be an issue fitting in any HOB filter. I have used zeolite crystals during a fish-in cycle which is a similar concept but just know that things like this slowly remove anmonia. It’s also not a permanent solution, just to be used during ammonia spikes dying a fish in-cycle. It can help keep the water safe while the tank is cycling but won’t remove large amounts of ammonia. Just something to keep in mind.

Is your tank cycling? How high are your ammonia readings?
Ammonia either 2.0 or 4.0 ( i cant see well)
Nitrate 0 or 5
nitrite .5 or 1
times like this i wish i didnt cause myself eye damage as a kid that makes it hard to see colors

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
frogmastertimmy said:
Ammonia either 2.0 or 4.0 ( i cant see well)
Nitrate 0 or 5
nitrite .25
You haven't even begun cycle. Reading no nitrite but ammonia means your ammonia hasn't converted to nitrite yet let alone nitrate

OP
frogmastertimmy

frogmastertimmy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FreshwaterHG said:
Just a quick recommendation: get more corys if uh can. They are schooling fish and need groups of 6+. Test kits are a total mush. No way to know if a tank is cycled without one. Invest in the API freshwater master test kit. Best one for your money. $23 on amazon!
i have a testing kit i just cant type apparently lol i do plan to get more corys because they are SO CUTE but 1st i would like to fix the cycling problem

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
frogmastertimmy said:
Thank you i love how this chat turned from can i use this needing more product suggestions lol
No problem! Hope it goes well. Just dose whatever you get according to the directions. Fluval cycle has you dose for 3 days but I would just dose until you get nitrate readings. That’s what I did. Took 4-5 days till my tank had nitrate AND ammonia went down. I also found it helpful to poor into the filter rather then the aquarium water.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could add bottled bacteria if you want, although some will debate its usefulness. Instead of just relying on products, I would also do water changes to keep levels down(unless your source water has ammonia and or nitrites); generally I would keep it .5 or under.
FreshwaterHG said:
Just saying but test kits aren't always mandatory for success. Also at op like you said, I would get through the cycling first before adding more fish.

OP
frogmastertimmy

frogmastertimmy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FreshwaterHG said:
No problem! Hope it goes well. Just dose whatever you get according to the directions. Fluval cycle has you dose for 3 days but I would just dose until you get nitrate readings. That’s what I did. Took 4-5 days till my tank had nitrate AND ammonia went down. I also found it helpful to poor into the filter rather then the aquarium water.
Im suprised how affordable it is thats always nice! 6$ fir 8oz

OP
frogmastertimmy

frogmastertimmy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
flyinGourami said:
You could add bottled bacteria if you want, although some will debate its usefulness. Instead of just relying on products, I would also do water changes to keep levels down(unless your source water has ammonia and or nitrites); generally I would keep it .5 or under.

Just saying but test kits aren't always mandatory for success. Also at op like you said, I would get through the cycling first before adding more fish.
I am also doing daily water changes but running low on prime so i need to make an order. How much water should i change daily?

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
frogmastertimmy said:
I am also doing daily water changes but running low on prime so i need to make an order. How much water should i change daily?
Well that depends. Again I'de say you generally want to do enough to keep levels down to around .5 for ammonia and nitrite to keep the fish safe. Bottled bacteria IMO often still requires water changes, it might just speed the cycle along but it won't give you an instant or guaranteed cure.

OP
frogmastertimmy

frogmastertimmy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
flyinGourami said:
Well that depends. Again I'de say you generally want to do enough to keep levels down to around .5 for ammonia and nitrite to keep the fish safe. Bottled bacteria IMO often still requires water changes, it might just speed the cycle along but it won't give you an instant or guaranteed cure.
ooph saying idk if im at 2 or 4 guess ill have to do a big change

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
flyinGourami said:

I would disagree. If OP doesn’t know the ammonia levels
flyinGourami said:

I agree, cycling is the first priority. In my experience, SOME added beneficial bacteria products work. I had a cycle stalled in one of my tanks and adding BB really helped it along. That being said, I’m trying stress zyme right now since I’m out of fluval cycle and it’s not doing anything.

And I disagree, test kits, or getting someone to test the water, is mandatory for doing a fish-in cycle. Otherwise you have no idea the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Once the tank is cycled, there little need to test unless you have added more fish or have illness, but I would NEVER cycle a tank without a water test kit, especially not a fish-in cycle.

Products should not be a quick fix, but some are helpful in situations. I would rather see OP used BB to help cycle then add things to remove ammonia from the tank.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom