20 Gal Tall Vs Long For Shrimp?

Mom2some

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Would one or the other be better?
Dreaming of starting a shrimp tank... and trying to hash out a realistic budget/space/etc. I know for a lot of fish the 20 long is preferable, but does it matter for shrimp? Might have some CPDs or other Nano fish in there too..
Thank you!

Wobbegong

Well Known
Reaction score
The State that is probably on fire, California
Experience
2 years
Well shrimp like to stay on the bottom so the more bottom space the better, a longer tank would also be better for schooling fish because they can go the length of the tank. It is also better because you can have more fish in it.

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it would be better for them to have a long tank since they are bottom dwellers

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 20 gallon tank would be better, as it has more surface area to develop biofilm and algae for the shrimp, as well as more room. That being said, a 20 gallon tall would work just fine as a shrimp breeding tank.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think it depends on the shrimp and other tank inhabitants. As long as they have things to climb, long vs. high isn't really going to matter - personal experience. I have a 30 tall, 20 tall, and 29 with shrimp. My neos are top to bottom of all 3 tanks, and love hanging out on the duckweed at the top of the 30 tall.

BRDrew

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can keep cherry shrimp in pretty much any container that has some plant matter for them to get their food from and enough water for them not to suffocate. I have kept them in a 1 gallon vase (with no filter mind you) for a while but I changed up pretty much all my tanks. I now have 11 blue velvet on a 2.5g and they are breeding (the tank has a lot of plants and a good filter). Also have a lot of them in my 20 ish gallon community tank.

Luciferene

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
20 Tall can be just as good as 20 Long but not better. 20L >= 20T

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree that it doesn’t matter.

OP
Mom2some

Mom2some

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for all the responses. Some of the decisions will be based on space - but this is very helpful.

New Threads