Status
Not open for further replies.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Would one or the other be better?
Dreaming of starting a shrimp tank... and trying to hash out a realistic budget/space/etc. I know for a lot of fish the 20 long is preferable, but does it matter for shrimp? Might have some CPDs or other Nano fish in there too..
Thank you!

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 20 gallon tank would be better, as it has more surface area to develop biofilm and algae for the shrimp, as well as more room. That being said, a 20 gallon tall would work just fine as a shrimp breeding tank.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think it depends on the shrimp and other tank inhabitants. As long as they have things to climb, long vs. high isn't really going to matter - personal experience. I have a 30 tall, 20 tall, and 29 with shrimp. My neos are top to bottom of all 3 tanks, and love hanging out on the duckweed at the top of the 30 tall.

BRDrew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can keep cherry shrimp in pretty much any container that has some plant matter for them to get their food from and enough water for them not to suffocate. I have kept them in a 1g vase (with no filter mind you) for a while but I changed up pretty much all my tanks. I now have 11 blue velvet on a 2.5g and they are breeding (the tank has a lot of plants and a good filter). Also have a lot of them in my 20 ish gallon community tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 44 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 17.9%

Top Bottom