20 Gal Tall Vs Long For Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Mom2some, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Would one or the other be better?
    Dreaming of starting a shrimp tank... and trying to hash out a realistic budget/space/etc. I know for a lot of fish the 20 long is preferable, but does it matter for shrimp? Might have some CPDs or other Nano fish in there too..
    Thank you!

2. WobbegongWell Known MemberMember

Well shrimp like to stay on the bottom so the more bottom space the better, a longer tank would also be better for schooling fish because they can go the length of the tank. It is also better because you can have more fish in it.

3. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

it would be better for them to have a long tank since they are bottom dwellers

4. FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

A 20 gallon tank would be better, as it has more surface area to develop biofilm and algae for the shrimp, as well as more room. That being said, a 20 gallon tall would work just fine as a shrimp breeding tank.

5. BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

I think it depends on the shrimp and other tank inhabitants. As long as they have things to climb, long vs. high isn't really going to matter - personal experience. I have a 30 tall, 20 tall, and 29 with shrimp. My neos are top to bottom of all 3 tanks, and love hanging out on the duckweed at the top of the 30 tall.

6. BRDrewValued MemberMember

You can keep cherry shrimp in pretty much any container that has some plant matter for them to get their food from and enough water for them not to suffocate. I have kept them in a 1g vase (with no filter mind you) for a while but I changed up pretty much all my tanks. I now have 11 blue velvet on a 2.5g and they are breeding (the tank has a lot of plants and a good filter). Also have a lot of them in my 20 ish gallon community tank.

7. LucifereneValued MemberMember

20 Tall can be just as good as 20 Long but not better. 20L >= 20T

8. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I agree that it doesn’t matter.

9. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for all the responses. Some of the decisions will be based on space - but this is very helpful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice