20 Gal. Stocking

1. s

sbme401 New Member Member

I have a planted and well established 20 gal. tank with 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows (planning on getting 3-5 more) and 8 Panda Cories. I'm currently looking for a good centerpiece fish for the tank.

I have had bad luck with Dwarf Gouramis in this tank. I've had two and each only lasted for about a week so I am looking for a different kind of fish. I've since read up on dwarf gouramis and found that they tend to have trouble with fast tankmates like the WCMMs and can be very skittish. It is also possible that the two I got were from bad stock or had a disease.

I'm currently looking for a similar sized centerpiece fish that will do better in my tank.

My tank is a 20 gal. tall. Dimensions are 24.35"L x 12.5"W x 19.25"H.

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

What's the temperature? Apistogramma borelli and Bolivian ram sound like decent options to me.

3. OP
    OP
    s

My temperature is around 72.5 F

4. MattS99

Yeah, Bolivians and borellis would work in that. I'll keep thinking and looking around, I'll post something if I find something.

5. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Peacock Gudgeons? Honey Gouramis?

6. MattS99

Not at 72.

7. Kenny777

Oh true nvm. I forgot about the temp :p

8. MattS99

That's why you should double check before you post.

9. Kenny777

Okay geez don t mean to be rude but your kinda being bossy

10. MattS99

I'm not being bossy. I always double check. We want to give accurate information on here.

11. Kenny777

Well you kinda are tbh if you want to start a conversation and discuss this we can I'm not trying to hijack the thread.

12. OP
    OP
    s

Would I be able to keep a single borelli or bolivian or would a pair be better? I am worried about overstocking the tank with a pair so I'm not sure what would work best.

13. MattS99

You could totally keep a single borelli or Bolivian. They'll be just as happy. Male or female would work. Female borellis are usually more 'bland' and are more yellow than males. Male and female Bolivians look pretty similar.

14. OP
    OP
    s

Ok, thanks for all the help!

15. MattS99

You're welcome!

16. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

@MattS99 gave you some good suggestions. To give another option, I think I remember a killifish as being ok in lower temps - check out "least killifish" (actually a livebearer). (Although I'm definitely an apisto borellii fan!)

17. MattS99

Least killifish would work, but they'd have to be kept in a group. They're pretty small as well, not a typical centerpiece.

18. JeffK

That's right - those guys are tiny. I was thinking of golden wonder killis (Aplocheilus lineatus) at those lower 70 degree temps. A little bigger than those "least" guys!

19. MattS99

They'd definitely work, would just have to watch for aggression. They'll eat endlers, smaller rasboras and tetras, etc. Males can get territorial too.

20. JeffK

I figured the WCCMs are big/fast enough to be ok with them.