20 Gallon Tank 20 Gal Stocking W/ Dwarf Gourami

ahouseofscales

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! I finally have a 20 gallon tank and I am very excited to start stocking it! I have a few ideas and preferences but I'd like to see what ideas other people might have. I have a dwarf gourami and nerites back home that I will be bringing to put in this tank (I am a college student). I would like to have a schooling fish and some sort of invertebrate. I really like pearl danios and rummynose tetras, and I am looking at getting a crab (either a thai micro crab or a freshwater pom pom crab). I am not sure what goes best with DGs though so I am open to ideas.

Tango has pretty much been on his own the entire time I've had him. I have only ever had snails, shrimp, and dwarf crays with him so I'm not sure how he'll react to other fish. Since I am in college I don't want a species that is too demanding. The tank will be planted with caribsea eco-complete for a substrate. It will be heated to around 77F. pH from the tap is around 7.2 and of course ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will all be 0 once I have it fully cycled.

I appreciate any ideas you can give me! Thanks!

Last edited:

bendresbach

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is it a tall or long 20 gallon?
I think Harlequin Rasbora would be a good tank mate for the DG. They like similar water parameters and temps. Pearl Danio like colder water.
For a bottom feeder you can’t go wrong with a bristle nose
I’d reccomend not choosing a longfin because of the tank size but super red,calico,regular,albino, and lemon eyes will work great

ahouseofscales

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is it a tall or long 20 gallon?
I think Harlequin Rasbora would be a good tank mate for the DG. They like similar water parameters and temps. Pearl Danio like colder water.
It is a 20 tall. I know it's not ideal but it's what I can fit.

For a bottom feeder you can’t go wrong with a bristle nose
I’d reccomend not choosing a longfin because of the tank size but super red,calico,regular,albino, and lemon eyes will work great
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm not a huge fan of bristle noses but I'll think about it.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
^ Do you mean Espei Rasbora instead of Expel? lol
Those are great little fish!

jennalynnj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have heard that ecocomplete can be rough on corydoras. I am not sure if that applies to other bottom feeders, maybe just corys because they play and root around so much.

ahouseofscales

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have heard that ecocomplete can be rough on corydoras. I am not sure if that applies to other bottom feeders, maybe just corys because they play and root around so much.
Okay. I am not planning on corydoras so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I should probably clarify that when I say bottom feeders I mean invertebrates that are bottom dwelling. I'm not too interested in traditional bottom feeders and much prefer invertebrates, otos, and loaches, although I know most species wouldn't be suitable for this aquarium.

ahouseofscales

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Decided to ditch the bottom feeders and just go with a schooling fish. I'd rather have a good sized school than a bottom feeder. Leaning towards rummy nose tetras (H. bleheri) right now. Would these work well in this tank? If they would, how many could I comfortably fit in here? Just as a reminder this tank will be heavily planted with rockwork and some driftwood. I am planning to leave swimming space but the planting will be dense.

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rummynose Tetra are good with Dwarf Gourami.

In a 20g I'd say you could have 12 x Rummynose + 1x Dwarf Gourami.

I'd introduce 10 Rummynose, wait two weeks, then add 10 more.

You'll be lucky if 12 survive the transition to the new tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom