20 gal long vs 29 gallons

LoachBoat

I currently have a 20 gallon tall and looking to upgrade to a longer space. I was told the 20 gallon high is too tall for bettas and they can struggle to reach the top. Would this mean the 29 gallon which is the same height wise would be a bad upgrade? If so should I just get a 20 gal long?

Bettatakeover

Depends on you decor and whether your betta is short or long finned. Short finned bettas have no problem with the height of a 29. Long finned might struggle but if you have a couple betta leafs or a betta log and a couple tall plants (real or fake) for him to rest on closer to the surface then he should be ok. My long finned betta was good in a 38G which is 19” tall until some of my community fish started thinking his fins looked pretty tasty. Now I have a female in the community and my long finned bettas in a couple 10G with snails and shrimp.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Personally, i like both sizes for bettas, but would definitely lean towards a short finned betta for a 29.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I currently have a 20 gallon tall and looking to upgrade to a longer space. I was told the 20 gallon high is too tall for bettas and they can struggle to reach the top. Would this mean the 29 gallon which is the same height wise would be a bad upgrade? If so should I just get a 20 gal long?

I wouldn't say you should get a 20 long, but I think it would be a good choice.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

How many bettas do you have? Are there other fish? A 40 breeder is a nice tank if your looking to upgrade. But not needed for just 1 betta.

Upvote 0

LoachBoat

How many bettas do you have? Are there other fish? A 40 breeder is a nice tank if your looking to upgrade. But not needed for just 1 betta.
I have 1 betta in A planted 20 gal tank. I believe he’s a plakat koi ( ik for sure he is short finned) and I plan on either adding 6 Corydoras or kuhli loaches
Depends on you decor and whether your betta is short or long finned. Short finned bettas have no problem with the height of a 29. Long finned might struggle but if you have a couple betta leafs or a betta log and a couple tall plants (real or fake) for him to rest on closer to the surface then he should be ok. My long finned betta was good in a 38G which is 19” tall until some of my community fish started thinking his fins looked pretty tasty. Now I have a female in the community and my long finned bettas in a couple 10G with snails and shrimp.
I have 1 betta in A planted 20 gal tank. I believe he’s a plakat koi ( ik for sure he is short finned) and I plan on either adding 6 Corydoras or kuhli loaches

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

In that case I'd definitely recommend a 20 long, since loaches and corys are primarily bottom dwelling fish. They'd have more room to roam around.

Here's another thought. If this is all that's going to be in the tank, I'd like to suggest Corydoras pygmaeus. They're small, so you could easily do 12 - 15 in a 20 long, and while they do spend a good bit of their time on the bottom they also spend considerably more time higher in the water column than other cory species, which would be a plus since there's nothing else in the tank other than the betta.

Upvote 0

Bettatakeover

The 29 and 20 long have the same footprint (base dimensions). Both are equally as good for your bottom dwellers. So I would do a 29 if you can afford it and have the space. It will give you more options for stocking if you want to add a schooling mid dweller.
BUT if your heart lies in aquascaping and plants it is easier to grow plants in the 20L because it is not as tall so lighting is easier.
BUT if your heart lies in aquascaping and plants it is easier to grow plants in the 20L because it is not as tall so lighting is easier.
Both tanks are awesome.

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

20 gallon long is way to go imo
I had 6 emerald green cory cats, assorted snail and 5 female bettas in mine, until I moved them out to my community tanks

elephant ears are weak swimmer imo and did well in it.

the height is perfect for bettas.

I have a 20 tall and when I move the fish out, I think I'm gonna get rid of it. 20 long is perfect for plants etc. I've had mine nearly 18 months now.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
darthlung
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question