20 Gal Long Tank Inquiries Help

1. Shady Shark

Shady Shark Member Member

Good evening my fellow fishy friends! ;)

I had some questions involving stocking a 20G tank that I recently dug up.

I'm quite fond of betta fish, and am currently considering either dividing my tank to either purchase two bettas or plant it well and get only one.

I'm leaning towards getting only one since I'd like to get a school of kuhli loaches after making sure the betta has a peaceful demeanor (and of course after cycling the tank).

I'm also interested in either getting a school of ember tetras or harlequin rasboras.

At the end of the day, I want to prevent the betta from being stressed and give it the most comfortable life possible (while having a beautiful tank), so any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stay fishy!

- Shady Shark

2. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like a plan, a 20 long is the minimum size recommended for a betta community. Ultimately the biggest thing to worry about isn't the betta's temperament, but whether or not any schooling fish you add will nip at his fins.

You could also try a betta sorority with 5-6 female bettas.

3. OP
    OP
    Shady Shark

Shady Shark Member Member

I'm not really interested in a sorority, and the fish I've listed are known to be good tankmates for bettas. Do you think I could do a combination of about 4-5 loaches as well as a school of ember tetras or another peaceful fish?

4. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I would do a minimum of 6 loaches and tetras, though in a 20 long you could feasibly to at least 10 of each with heavy planting and a good filter.