20 Gal Long Planted Community

abuch91

Reaction score
Hey there, sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to put together a plan for a 20gallon planted community tank. I was originally going to go with a 40 breeder, but I think space in my living room is going to restrict that.

I've had tanks in the past with Cichlids, but I want to try a more community approach.

For my centerpiece fish I love German Blue Rams, with Gourami's in second.

Ideally, I'd like to stock:

- German rams as the centerpiece
- Cardinal Tetras/ Harlequin Rasboras
- Panda Cories

Lookingonline, it seems like the rams/tetra/cories all can share similar water params, with the Rasboras requiring colder water, so they might be out.

My questions are:
How many of each should I stock (if they are compatible)
Are there any issues with this stocking plan as far as compatibility goes?

Thanks!

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Panda cories need much cooler temperatures than the rams need. The german blue rams and cardinal tetras like much warmer water, 82F+ for the rams. Maybe you could do a pair of german blue rams and 12 or so cardinal tetras? Maybe more.

abuch91

Reaction score
Is there a 3rd species I could add to round it off? Or should it just be the two?

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there a 3rd species I could add to round it off? Or should it just be the two?
If you're thinking another bottom dweller, you could do sterbai cories but the rams all differ in temperament and when they pair up they may want the entire bottom to themselves. It depends what you want more, the rams or other bottom dwellers. There isn't really that many fish that like higher temps that could go in a 20 long. A large school of cardinals would be an eye catcher with the ram pair though.

As an alternative, you could do 2 honey gouramis (these are just as interesting and fun to watch as rams), 8 panda cories, and a tetra school of your choice or instead a group of honey gouramis.

abuch91

Reaction score
If you're thinking another bottom dweller, you could do sterbai cories but the rams all differ in temperament and when they pair up they may want the entire bottom to themselves. It depends what you want more, the rams or other bottom dwellers. There isn't really that many fish that like higher temps that could go in a 20 long. A large school of cardinals would be an eye catcher with the ram pair though.

As an alternative, you could do 2 honey gouramis (these are just as interesting and fun to watch as rams), 8 panda cories, and a tetra school of your choice or instead a group of honey gouramis.
Thanks Ravynn, I appreciate the help!

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Option 1: keep at 26 to 27 degrees
2 German Blue Rams
15 cardinal tetras

Option 2: keep at 22 to 23 degrees
2 honey gouramis
8 panda corydoras
10 celestial pearl danios

Giul