20 Gallon Tank (20 gal) is this stocking plan ok?

Mii

Behavior wise, what small schooling/shoaling fish do you guys find most interesting? I want something that will show some sort of interesting behavior and not just sorta float there?

BigManAquatics

Penguin tetras are kind of fun because mine often swim around in a school and they like to swim with a bit of an upward tilt sometimes. Also called hockey stick tetras. Candy cane tetras look neat in a group but don't really know behavior wise.

otterblue

I've never had them myself, but I've heard a number of people say they really like zebra danios because they're so active.

GlennO

Pseudomugils are very active and regularly display and spar with each other.

Flyfisha

How big is the tank Mii ?

Pseudomugils if it’s just a small tank or even in a big tank .

Rummy nose tetras are the best schooling fish I have ever seen but you need at least a 4 foot or longer tank IMO .

Mii

How big is the tank Mii ?

Pseudomugils if it’s just a small tank or even in a big tank .

Rummy nose tetras are the best schooling fish I have ever seen but you need at least a 4 foot or longer tank IMO .
The tank size is a 20 gallon.

Flyfisha

Then with a 20 gallon you could have a nice school of the little Rainbowfish ( Pseudomugils ) . They have small mouths so need small food but will eat anything ( I believe? ) .

A couple of dozen perhaps? What do you recommend GlennO?

I only have a school of ” spotted “ in a little 26 litre at the moment. Definitely not seeing them at their full potential?

Lilthuglet

Depends on your natural water parameters. If you have hard water then I love Guppies. I know they are fairly common but they are cute, engaging, bold and wiggly. Mine come and check out my hand when I'm doing water changes and love investigating anything new in the tank.

For softer water Ember tetras are super cute but they are a bit shyer. When I stay away they are lovely to watch mooching about the tank, but if I approach the tank they all hide and they take about an hour to come out after a water change.

Platys are adorable but I've found them to be a bit fragile. Lots of problems keeping them.

WRWAquarium

A second vote for rummy nose tetras here.

Tight schooling, attractive and robust.

I have mine in a 4ft but I think they will be fine in a 20 gallon long.

Blacksheep1

Third for rummynoses ! I adore mine

GlennO

Then with a 20 gallon you could have a nice school of the little Rainbowfish ( Pseudomugils ) . They have small mouths so need small food but will eat anything ( I believe? ) .

A couple of dozen perhaps? What do you recommend GlennO?

I only have a school of ” spotted “ in a little 26 litre at the moment. Definitely not seeing them at their full potential?
I think potentially 20 or so. Some species are a little bigger than others. 'Spotted' (gertrudae) are about the smallest.

Turnkeyagenda24

I like danios but they stay at the surface most of the time

PAcanis

I'm starting to think there is more to fish raising than we give fish credit for. It seems like once a week I am seeing a person describing a particular fish as shy, or not easy to keep, and I have just the opposite opinion based on my fish. Maybe it's in the breeding. Like dogs. Some breeders are just better than others.

My Embers are anything but shy. And very fun to watch in a large group. They come up to my fingers when I feed and are constantly in the way if I am trying to net another fish. But they do break off into factions now and then.

My Rummy Nose on the other hand are always together. And probably twice as active. Or at least appear to be because they are larger and swim faster.

If you want a larger school go with the Ember Tetras. Smaller bioload.

Mii

Would 3x honey gourami, 1x apisto(not sure what kind yet), 3x oto, 8x small schooling fish(Like cherry barbs or cardinal tetras or something, I haven't made up my mind) be reasonable for a 20g? Or is that too many fish?

Sofiafish17

Otos really like bigger groups than that so bump them up to 6. I’m not sure if the Honey’s and the apisto would get along, and Apistos like pairs so I think you should pick either the 3 honey’s OR a pair of apistogramma. Then pick some small schoolers, 8 sounds about right for the tetras.

Mii

Otos really like bigger groups than that so bump them up to 6. I’m not sure if the Honey’s and the apisto would get along, and Apistos like pairs so I think you should pick either the 3 honey’s OR a pair of apistogramma. Then pick some small schoolers, 8 sounds about right for the tetras.
Honeys and apistos get along fine as long as you don't get one of the more aggressive kinds of apistos, and I was thinking one apisto because I don't want them to breed.

Mii

What low-bioload centerpiece will look nice in this 20g with a whole buncha' bleons(black neons)? I want something low bioload so I can have more bleons.
PXL_20211017_235509729.jpg

FinalFins

May I suggest a pair of apistos?

Mii

FinalFins

I don't want them to breed.
Don’t feed the babies, let nature take it’s course.

Mii

Won't they get aggressive when protecting fry? Also I'd rather not have a bunch of baby apistos dying everywhere.

carsonsgjs

Or just keep a single male?

FinalFins

Won't they get aggressive when protecting fry? Also I'd rather not have a bunch of baby apistos dying everywhere.
Tetras do eat babies… unless you have some Corydoras I would not worry about aggression. Irregardless of babies, them “being in the mood” makes them look 100% better, if you care about looks and all that snazz.

Mii

Tetras do eat babies… unless you have some Corydoras I would not worry about aggression. Irregardless of babies, them “being in the mood” makes them look 100% better, if you care about looks and all that snazz.
Well I don't want them to have babies just for them all to get eaten... I could try raising the fry I guess. How hard is it to raise the fry and can I stop them from all being eaten?

FinalFins

Well I don't want them to have babies just for them all to get eaten... I could try raising the fry I guess. How hard is it to raise the fry and can I stop them from all being eaten?
I’m not the guy to ask for raising fry. Plenty of other people can contribute their testimonies however. If you aren’t in the market for a breeding fish, a large school of tetras is equally as stunning for a centerpiece.

Mii

AqAdvisor says it's ok but since it's not always very accurate I want to check with actual humans who know about fishkeeping.

20g High(24"L x 12"W x 16"H)
8x Bleons(Black Neon Tetras)
3x Honey Gourami
1x Apisto
4x cories(Probably something small like panda cories)
Maybe a few amano shrimp.

I've kept honeys and apistos together and had no problems so I'm not worried about that, Bleons are Bleons so I'm not worried about them.

the 2 things I AM worried about are if it's overstocked bioload wise, and 3 square feet is enough floor space for the apisto to set up his own territory and not get mad at the corries. I think the amano shrimp should do fine...? but I'm not super knowledgeable about shrimp and they'll be my first time keeping shrimp so idk.

I'm also planning to pick more peaceful species of apisto(ie Cacatuoides) over more aggressive species (ie Agassizii) and going to keep only one because they get more aggressive when protecting fry and last time I checked a single fish can't breed with itself.

Is this stocking plan aight?

BigManAquatics

Seems ambitious but i think it can be fine. Don't think any level should be too crowded anyway.

Mii

I'm guessing reacting with like means this is good?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
Replies
Views
connorjs1004
  • Question
Replies