20 Gal High Stocking

Alison T

I am hopefully going to be completely restocking my aquarium soon, and I'd love some feedback on the new stocking. The tank is fully planted and has plenty of hiding spots. Substrate is Black Diamond Blasting sand with some CaribSea Flora Max mixed in for the plants. Water parameters are fine and pH is around 7.2 right now. As far as fish go, I have a baby bristlenose pleco in there that I was going to keep until I could set up a larger tank, but I can return him if the new stocking requires.
I was thinking just 6-8 Serpae Tetras and ~6 KuhlI Loaches. Could I put anything else in there? Would those fish be fine?

Edit: I visited my LFS to see what fish they had and now i'm curious about black harlequin rasboras, scissortail rasboras, german blue rams, gold barbs, and melon barbs. I'm also still interested in kuhlI loaches but not so much serpae tetras anymore. Does anyone know if any combination of these fish would work well? And are any completely unsuitable for a 20galh?

75g Discus Tank

The kuhlI loaches could work, but the tank might be a bit too short.

20 long tanks are better.

For stocking, you could do the kuhlI loaches with some smaller schooling fish like ember tetras.

For a centerpiece, a female betta would work, or you could get a male betta first and see him temperment,

Discus-Tang

I am hopefully going to be completely restocking my aquarium soon, and I'd love some feedback on the new stocking. The tank is fully planted and has plenty of hiding spots. Substrate is Black Diamond Blasting sand with some CaribSea Flora Max mixed in for the plants. Water parameters are fine and pH is around 7.2 right now. As far as fish go, I have a baby bristlenose pleco in there that I was going to keep until I could set up a larger tank, but I can return him if the new stocking requires.
I was thinking just 6-8 Serpae Tetras and ~6 KuhlI Loaches. Could I put anything else in there? Would those fish be fine?
Tetras and bn plecos come from the amazon where the water is slightly acidic so try to get the pH down a little. Stocking wise it's too many so if I were you I'd get a new tank for bn and put all the others in and they will be fine.

75g Discus Tank

pH is fine. Acclimate well and the fish will adapt.

Alison T

The kuhlI loaches could work, but the tank might be a bit too short.

20 long tanks are better.

For stocking, you could do the kuhlI loaches with some smaller schooling fish like ember tetras.

For a centerpiece, a female betta would work, or you could get a male betta first and see him temperment,
So are you saying the tank is too short for serpae tetras in general? Or just in addition to the loaches?

75g Discus Tank

I wouldn’t do any larger Tetra in anything under a 20 long.
The serpaes are too active to go in the 20 high IMO.
The kuhlI loaches could be fine in a 20 high if you give them enough hiding areas.

WadeEH

pH is fine. Acclimate well and the fish will adapt.
I agree with 75 gallon Discus Tank. Most fish will adapt to your pH if you acclimate them well and it is much safer than trying to change your pH. I have kept healthy BN Plecos for years and my pH is around 8.0-8.2.

Alison T

Does anyone have suggestions on the fish I mentioned in the edit?

Buganjimo

Rams are on the line, you could probably do that although I'm not an expert by any means. I have a 20 long with them but yours is high. Although they’d probably be fine. The harlequins are good in that size tank, and out of the ones you mentioned, I’d choose those (IMO). Scissortails should have a 30 gallon too.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom