20 gal high, or 20 gal long

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Daniel W, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Daniel W

Daniel WValued MemberMember

Well, sometime in the future I want to get a 20 gallon. I'm just not sure if I want to get a 20 gallon long or a 20 gallon high. For this tank, I hope for 2 honey gouramis, 6 cories (still haven't decided what breed yet. Advice is gladly welcomed.:)), and around 7 bloodfin tetras. I want which would be a more appropriate tank setup, a 20 gallon long, or a 20 gallon high.

2. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

20 Gallon long - no question! Larger footprint means more horizontal swimming room for your fish. Your stocking plan sounds good, too!

3. JustinokayValued MemberMember

A 20 gal tank usually comes in landscape( laying on the side ) or portrait ( standing tall) versions
    and for the fish you want you should get a 20 gal that is a landscape version so that you can have room for more substrate plants and room for fish to roam around

4. OP
    OP
    Daniel W

Thanks for the advice! But the only reason I ask is because I read in another thread that a 20 gallon high tank is better for a community set up. I think it was because there's more space in the different levels, making the fish more comfortable. Not sure if I should take that in account.

5. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

20 gallon long has a bigger footprint for the fish and more surface area for oxygen exchange. A 20 high may have more vertical space for levels, but these levels have more limited amounts of swimming room for the fish.

6. OP
    OP
    Daniel W

Okay, thanks for the advice. Just to clarify, the reason a 20 gallon long would be better would be because of swimming space and oxygen exchange?

7. Skyy2112

Skyy2112Valued MemberMember

Long gives more horizontal space. IMO in a community tank, all fish should be peaceful thus it shouldnt matter if they merge into other areas to explore.

Bigger footprint is best.

20g Long.

Ps in all stores I see they are L or T (long or tall) is vert/horiz in UK or not America???

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  8. OP
    OP
    Daniel W

A 20 gallon tall doesn't mean vertical, it just means a short rectangle. Looks like your normal 10 gallon.

9. Skyy2112

Yeah tall is vertical, long is horizontal. Did I say something else? Sorry!

10. OP
    OP
    Daniel W

Oh! I thought by vertical you meant one of those really tall tanks! Sorry!

11. Skyy2112

2.5, 5, and 10 are all the same 'ratios'

20 have tall/long.
    -tall is more like a 10g that is taller,
    -long is same height of a 10g, but wider

Thus a long, is shorter, and more side to side. Not as much height. This is generally better. IMO Long>Tall always.

Tall is taller like a 29/30/33, just not as wide.

12. zcpetty

zcpettyWell Known MemberMember

Just got a 20long its a 30 gal that had its top cropped. Same footprint, stands, lids, and I IMO should use same filters 30+

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice