20 gal high, or 20 gal long

1. Daniel W Member Member

Well, sometime in the future I want to get a 20 gallon. I'm just not sure if I want to get a 20 gallon long or a 20 gallon high. For this tank, I hope for 2 honey gouramis, 6 cories (still haven't decided what breed yet. Advice is gladly welcomed.:)), and around 7 bloodfin tetras. I want which would be a more appropriate tank setup, a 20 gallon long, or a 20 gallon high.

2. JeffK Well Known Member Member

20 Gallon long - no question! Larger footprint means more horizontal swimming room for your fish. Your stocking plan sounds good, too!

3. Justinokay Member Member

A 20 gal tank usually comes in landscape( laying on the side ) or portrait ( standing tall) versions
    and for the fish you want you should get a 20 gal that is a landscape version so that you can have room for more substrate plants and room for fish to roam around

4. Daniel W Member Member

Thanks for the advice! But the only reason I ask is because I read in another thread that a 20 gallon high tank is better for a community set up. I think it was because there's more space in the different levels, making the fish more comfortable. Not sure if I should take that in account.

5. JeffK Well Known Member Member

20 gallon long has a bigger footprint for the fish and more surface area for oxygen exchange. A 20 high may have more vertical space for levels, but these levels have more limited amounts of swimming room for the fish.

6. Daniel W Member Member

Okay, thanks for the advice. Just to clarify, the reason a 20 gallon long would be better would be because of swimming space and oxygen exchange?

7. Skyy2112 Member Member

Long gives more horizontal space. IMO in a community tank, all fish should be peaceful thus it shouldnt matter if they merge into other areas to explore.

Bigger footprint is best.

20g Long.

Ps in all stores I see they are L or T (long or tall) is vert/horiz in UK or not America???

8. Daniel W Member Member

A 20 gallon tall doesn't mean vertical, it just means a short rectangle. Looks like your normal 10 gallon.

9. Skyy2112 Member Member

Yeah tall is vertical, long is horizontal. Did I say something else? Sorry!

10. Daniel W Member Member

Oh! I thought by vertical you meant one of those really tall tanks! Sorry!

11. Skyy2112 Member Member

2.5, 5, and 10 are all the same 'ratios'

20 have tall/long.
    -tall is more like a 10g that is taller,
    -long is same height of a 10g, but wider

Thus a long, is shorter, and more side to side. Not as much height. This is generally better. IMO Long>Tall always.

Tall is taller like a 29/30/33, just not as wide.

12. zcpetty Well Known Member Member

Just got a 20long its a 30 gal that had its top cropped. Same footprint, stands, lids, and I IMO should use same filters 30+