20 gal high densely planted; appropriate lighting?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by lfabb, Jun 30, 2016.

1. lfabb

lfabb Valued Member Member

New to aquariums and aqua scaping. In running a co2 pump and I've got aqueon floramax t8. I'm attempting to carpet hair grass, I've got Anubis, dwarf swords, Java moss and ferns, and hellfire. Is this lighting enough? Or would I need to run another floramax light? I'm not set in investing in a huge set now because if I enjoy the hobby I plan to upgrade tank.

2. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Assuming it's an 18" 15W bulb then it's not going to do you any favours, your tank will be well in the low light category.
    Youd be better with an LED fixture like a planted plus or a ray 2 or maybe dual t5's.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think you'll be able to carpet even with two Floramax bulbs. I think you'd need T5HO or quality LEDs. You might be able to with regular T5s.

4. OP
    OP
    lfabb

Would a dual t5 system like coralife work?

Actually looking at cost the planted plus seems reasonable. Is this the product you are referencing to? 24" Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus Automated LED Light Fixture, 24.5 watt

Or is there a higher wattage one I should be looking for?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2016
  5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

6. OP
    OP
    lfabb

Just to clarify if I run this planted+ with the co2 I should have a better result in carpeting the hair grass? Thanks for the info much appreciated

7. DanB80TTS

You would have a much much better chance of carpeting with a planted+, with the flora max or two flora max bulbs I'd say the DHG will just melt away.

You'd be better off with a good substrate too like eco complete, floramax or a dirted tank.

I haven't carpeted DHG yet but I will be attempting it very shortly in my CO2 tank.
    I can tell you it didn't carpet in a medium light setup without CO2 that I had a while back.

8. OP
    OP
    lfabb

Thank you. I've got the planted+ ordered, co2 and Eco complete as my substrate. Here's to hoping the dhg will carpet!

9. DanB80TTS

I'm interested to see how it goes for you, I will have to share my results with you too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice