20 gal heater brand and wattage help

LanceDog

I may set up another 20 gallon. I have a 100w Eheim Jager in my 20 gal shrimp tank and am unimpressed with the need to calibrate it and its inaccurate heating. In my smaller tanks I have a mix of Tetra and Aqueon presets that work all right but for a big tank I don't want a preset heater. What wattage and brand can y'all recommend? Something cheapo preferred.

Heron

If you go for one heater I would go for a 100W one unless your room is warm in which case you could go smaller. I would go for two 50W heaters, one set slightly higher so when you only need 50W the one heater will do and when it gets colder the second heater will kick in giving 100W.
This will use slightly less electricity but more importantly should slow down the transition between the heaters switching on temperature and it's switching off temperature. Also when both are on you should have more even temperature in the tank.
As for makes I have had various heaters from most major brands sold in the UK and they are much the same. I bought some cheap Chinese ones from Amazon they work fine but have a much bigger gap between on and off so throughout the day the temperature varies about 1.5 degrees C.

ayeayeron

I just use the TopFin heater that came with my aquarium kit because i’m a broke teenager who can’t afford quality lol. It’s 100w and it works fine for me, it’s adjustable and pretty strong

Islandvic

I'm not sure why you're unimpressed with the Eheim's feature to calibrate the thermostat markings.

None of my heaters actually heat the tank to what they are set on.

I just adjust the thermostat up or down a couple of degrees until I get the tank water temp I want, then leave it alone.

Being able to clock the bezel left or right a couple of clicks so the thermostat matches the actual temp seems like a good feature to me.

If you don't want another Eheim, the Aqueon Pro heaters have a lifetime warranty.

You mentioned you wanted a cheap heater. That is one component I would not suggest to be cheap with. If you get an $8 generic no-name heater off eBay and the thermostat fails leaving the heater circuit on, it will easily leave the fish dying from exposure to +90°f water temps.

Spend the $20-$25 on a quality heater. You don't want to buy replacement fish in the future because a cheap heater failed.

If you live near a PetSmart, the in store cashier will price match anything they have in stock to what the Chewy website is advertising. PetSmart owns Chewy, so they will price match them. Also, if you download the PetSmart app, the in-app game let's you earn 10%, 15% and 20% off coupons for in store purchases. Cashiers will stack the coupon with a price match, so you can probably score a good deal on a heater that way.

CichlidJynx

I may set up another 20 gallon. I have a 100w Eheim Jager in my 20 gal shrimp tank and am unimpressed with the need to calibrate it and its inaccurate heating. In my smaller tanks I have a mix of Tetra and Aqueon presets that work all right but for a big tank I don't want a preset heater. What wattage and brand can y'all recommend? Something cheapo preferred.
So there us a very good video explaining why heaters are inaccurate, I suggest 5w per gallon and anything over 250w+ multiple heaters

goldfishbeginner

I've had ok luck with the Aqueon 100w preset heaters for 20 gallon. They're pretty inexpensive and non adjustable.
it's only good if you want your tank at 78f all the time. I'm running one 20 gallon tank in an unheated room this winter. It's gets pretty frigid there so I'm running two of these heaters. I just like how it has a couple leds inside to indicate when it's heating or not.

pagoda

My tropical 20 gallon longs (and 18 gallon hex) have Marina 100w heaters set at 75 and are very stable, no issues from any of them thusfar

andy305mia

Cobalt neotherms and Aqueon Pros (blue dial older models) but not cheap. You get what you pay for, and cheap stuff ends up costing more in the long term

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Zonotrichia
  • Heater
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
55 Gallon Tank Eheim Heater Wattage
  • Gameynerd23
  • Heater
Replies