20 Gal Centerpiece

  • Thread starter
  • #1

Faith11

New Member
Member
Messages
4
Hello! I was originally planning on adding a dwarf gouramI as the centerpiece fish to my twenty gallon high, but after doing some research on the iridovirus, I decided against it. I am also planning on having 8 cherry barbs and 6 panda cories. I was thinking maybe a pair of honey gouramis as the centerpiece, but I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
 
  • #2

Piaelliott

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,181
I think honey Gouramis would be lovely!
 
  • #3

Asaflame

Active Member
Member
Messages
200
Faith11 said:
Hello! I was originally planning on adding a dwarf gouramI as the centerpiece fish to my twenty gallon high, but after doing some research on the iridovirus, I decided against it. I am also planning on having 8 cherry barbs and 6 panda cories. I was thinking maybe a pair of honey gouramis as the centerpiece, but I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
I would do maybe bolivian rams
 
  • #4

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
I have a 15 gal (same footprint as your 20 gal high - your tank is just taller) that's housed an apistogramma borelliI as my centerpiece for almost 2 years now. Before that I had a few peacock gudgeons in there. The borelliI apisto and gudgeons do fine in the cooler temps that panda cories prefer (a bolivian ram or honey gouramI would also work well).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Faith11

New Member
Member
Messages
4
I was wondering how delicate the Bolivian rams are? I've seen some websites that say they need very pristine water and I would like a pretty hardy fish since I'm new to fishkeeping.
 
  • #6

JeffK

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,430
Faith11 said:
I was wondering how delicate the Bolivian rams are? I've seen some websites that say they need very pristine water and I would like a pretty hardy fish since I'm new to fishkeeping.
Bolivians are one of the hardier South American cichlids - they really don't need any "special" care above and beyond normal tank maintenance.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Faith11

New Member
Member
Messages
4
Thank you for all of the suggestions
 
  • #8

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,737
Yes, I would do bolivian rams. They are very beautiful.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Faith11

New Member
Member
Messages
4
Bolivian rams are usually kept in a m/f pair, right?
 
  • #10

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,737
Faith11 said:
Bolivian rams are usually kept in a m/f pair, right?
They can be kept alone. And yes, they can be kept in a m/f pair
 
  • #11

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
30,055
Welcome to fishlore!
That would be fine.
 
Top Bottom