Help 20 gal Aquarium questions!

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, I'm super mathematically challenged. I'm a beginner at fish keeping. I have 2 balloon mollies in a much too small tank. As soon as I move out of my apt. that doesn't allow so much as a fish bowl, I plan to get a 20 gal. tank. My mom is convinced a 20gal. is as big as a bathtub. I'm not so much...

I found a Top fin glass 20 gal tank for $59.99. The dimensions are 24 1/4"L x 12 1/2"W x 16 3/4"H, which my mom is now convinced won't hold 20 gallons.

Q. 1 - Will this tank hold 20 gallons as advertised?
Q. 2 - Is Top Fin a reliable brand? I'm super worried about leaks and the like.
Q. 3 - (A dumb question at that) Aquarium stands on carpets less stable than an uncarpeted floor?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There's a calculator at the bottom of the page. You can enter the dimensions in, and it tells you how many gallons. Remember that substrate and decor will subtract from the number of gallons.

Most brands are fine. Lots of people here have top fin.

Q3 - I don't know. Sorry.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
re: Q3 - it's not so much whether it's carpet, but what is under the carpet.

Considering the average human weighs approx 80kg, and a 20G tank will hold nearly 80kg's of water, plus tank, substrate, it'll probably weigh about 100kg. [1litre of water = 1kg]

So as long as your floor isn't caving in now, you should be right to add a 20g tank on top of it

Many bookcases, tv cabinets etc weigh more than most fish tanks.

Your tank will remain stable on either surface, as long as you do your best to make it level. If the feet of the stand are firmly planted, then the aquarium above will be fine.

My advice, if you are putting it on carpet, try and put the setup on a flat piece of wood,1-2cm thick treated pine would be good (treated because it should resist water damage). And then be sure to use polystyrene sheets under the tank to so that it can settle in level position.

By putting it on wood, you're spreading the load across a larger area which will reduce the 'holes' created in your carpet by the feet.

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks ryan, that's really helpful! I was considering putting wood or something under there. I'm less worried about leaving those marks in the carpet and more worried about the aquarium tipping over.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
top fin is fine, i've owned a few of their 10g kits. I think their HOB filter that comes with the 10 is underpowered and bypasses too easily, but otherwise no complaints.

It's hard to beat for the price, considering its brand new stuff , IMO

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yw

Just to re-iterate, the whole assembly (tank and stand) won't tip over providing everything is level, and providing no-one goes pulling/pushing it lol...

Have fun.

Oh, and btw, using wood underneath will also spread the load across your floor boards too, rather than having 'pressure' points, but it's not 100% necessary.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Another thing I like to do on carpet is set the tank and stand up and then add your gravel for a little weight before you check the level. Sometimes and empty tank on carpet will sit level but once you add the weight of the gravel and water it isn't sitting just right. People typically estimate that a tank weighs ten pounds per gallon if you take into account the gravel, stand, and accessories, again this is just an estimate.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom