20 g aquarium showing ammonia & nitrite

Clairek856
Member
Hello! I have an aquarium (20g) that I did a 50% water change on this morning to lower my nitrates, since they were a little high, and as it did do the trick to lower the nitrates, I now have a nitrite of 0.25ppm and an ammonia of 0.50ppm-Maybe even 1, as the color is in the middle. My tap water naturally has both nitrite and ammonia in it. What should I do to lower the ammonia and nitrite? I am fairly worried as it could spike in the middle of the night and kill my fish. Please help ASAP.
Thank you in advance :)
 
Mudminnow
Member
Did you check your nitrite and ammonia before you did the water change?

If you're sure the nitrite and ammonia were higher after the water change, there are two things I can think of that could cause this. One, you stirred up a bunch of gunk out of your substrate but didn't siphon it away. Two, your source water has ammonia and nitrite in it.

Either way, (if you're sure the nitrite and ammonia went up after the water change) it is unlikely your ammonia or nitrite would spike in the middle of the night. More likely your ammonia and nitrite levels will fall back down as your beneficial bacteria convert it to nitrate.
 
hi123
Member
Clairek856 said:
Hello! I have an aquarium (20g) that I did a 50% water change on this morning to lower my nitrates, since they were a little high, and as it did do the trick to lower the nitrates, I now have a nitrite of 0.25ppm and an ammonia of 0.50ppm-Maybe even 1, as the color is in the middle. My tap water naturally has both nitrite and ammonia in it. What should I do to lower the ammonia and nitrite? I am fairly worried as it could spike in the middle of the night and kill my fish. Please help ASAP.
Thank you in advance :)
Having the same problem'
Mudminnow said:
Did you check your nitrite and ammonia before you did the water change?

If you're sure the nitrite and ammonia were higher after the water change, there are two things I can think of that could cause this. One, you stirred up a bunch of gunk out of your substrate but didn't siphon it away. Two, your source water has ammonia and nitrite in it.

Either way, (if you're sure the nitrite and ammonia went up after the water change) it is unlikely your ammonia or nitrite would spike in the middle of the night. More likely your ammonia and nitrite levels will fall back down as your beneficial bacteria convert it to nitrate.
I think she mentioned in one of her post before that it was 0 before the water change and that her water has amonia and nitrite in it.
 
JettsPapa
Member
Clairek856 said:
Hello! I have an aquarium (20g) that I did a 50% water change on this morning to lower my nitrates, since they were a little high, and as it did do the trick to lower the nitrates, I now have a nitrite of 0.25ppm and an ammonia of 0.50ppm-Maybe even 1, as the color is in the middle. My tap water naturally has both nitrite and ammonia in it. What should I do to lower the ammonia and nitrite? I am fairly worried as it could spike in the middle of the night and kill my fish. Please help ASAP.
Thank you in advance :)
How high were the nitrates before the water change? Some people mistakenly believe it should be very low, but almost all fish are fine with it as high as 40 ppm, and some people say higher is still okay. I'm asking because if your source water has ammonia and nitrites you might want to do smaller water changes in the future, which of course wouldn't raise those levels as much as the 50% water change you described.
 
  • Thread Starter
Clairek856
Member
Mudminnow said:
Did you check your nitrite and ammonia before you did the water change?

If you're sure the nitrite and ammonia were higher after the water change, there are two things I can think of that could cause this. One, you stirred up a bunch of gunk out of your substrate but didn't siphon it away. Two, your source water has ammonia and nitrite in it.

Either way, (if you're sure the nitrite and ammonia went up after the water change) it is unlikely your ammonia or nitrite would spike in the middle of the night. More likely your ammonia and nitrite levels will fall back down as your beneficial bacteria convert it to nitrate.
ok great! I did check my water before I did the water change and both ammonia and nitrite were at 0. My tap water does have ammonia and nitrite in it, and I did stir up a bit of debris. I will just do another water change in the morning. Thank you!
 
Mudminnow
Member
Clairek856 said:
ok great! I did check my water before I did the water change and both ammonia and nitrite were at 0. My tap water does have ammonia and nitrite in it, and I did stir up a bit of debris. I will just do another water change in the morning. Thank you!
Given your tap water has ammonia and nitrite, I would suggest you either find a new source of water or plan to do smaller/less frequent water changes. If you plan to go the smaller/less frequent water change route, this usually means fewer animals and more plants.
 
Top Bottom