20 Days Into Cycling And No Nitrites???

littlemew4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been using Doctor Tims, and I haven't been checking for nitrates, because I read that you don't need to till you see nitrites. Should I check for them?

Wow, that's a long time. I just always read it would take 4 to six weeks to cycle.

Rancore

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have any established media in there from other tanks/friends or is it cycling from scratch?

littlemew4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No, but I am thinking on getting them soon. Do I need to wait for the tank to cycle before doing that?

Inactive User

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just a few questions: what sort of water are you using? Do you know whether it's hard or soft? Is it reverse-osmosis or softened?

Did you use any bottled bacteria product?

littlemew4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am using dechlorinated tap water. My P.h is 7.2 so it should be more on the hard side. Sorry, I'm confused about the last bit.

LeviS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No, but I am thinking on getting them soon. Do I need to wait for the tank to cycle before doing that?
You can go ahead and plant them, it will help with ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. The plants will absorb those and grow. Look up YouTube videos of people doing a fishless cycle and cycle a planted tank. It’s kinda odd that the ammonia is at same range as what you added. Also there is mixed feelings about bacteria in a bottle but I did use seachem stability after I screwed up and rinsed all 3 sponges at the same time during a water change. It may help you.

DillonPhoenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
I personally recommend TSS (tetra safestart) if you're gonna use bottled bacteria, I've used it to help cycle 4 tanks in the last 2 years and they've all fully cycled in under a month.

littlemew4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can go ahead and plant them, it will help with ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. The plants will absorb those and grow. Look up YouTube videos of people doing a fishless cycle and cycle a planted tank. It’s kinda odd that the ammonia is at same range as what you added. Also there is mixed feelings about bacteria in a bottle but I did use seachem stability after I screwed up and rinsed all 3 sponges at the same time during a water change. It may help you.
Okay, I'll try and get them as soon as I can, but my closet plant selling fish store is over an hour away, so I'll see what I can do.

Inactive User

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm confused about the last bit.
They are essentially live cultures of nitrifying microorganisms that are retailed for aquarium/aquaculture use. They essentially "jump start" the cycling process.

I would recommend either Dr Tim's One and Only or Tetra SafeStart (a reformulation of the Dr Tim product). Timothy A. Hovanec ("Dr Tim") is a microbiologist with extensive publications on nitrification (both in and outside of aquariums) in peer-reviewed scientific literature.

As for plants? You can add them in or plant them later. They do make cycling faster, but not in the sense of improving nitrifying microorganism reproduction: plants can take up ammonia/nitrite/nitrate directly and essentially remove the ammonia loading on one's biofilter.

littlemew4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll consider getting some bacteria. I do have an adjustable heater so I might try that, but I know I'll be camping around early October anyway so I might just let it sit, also I have just been doing top ups when the water evaporates. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom