2 weeks with no water change and readings show 0 nitrates (0 ammonia and nitrite

Joeyblaze88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted a few weeks ago about how I believe the water changes that I'm doing are killing my fish. Since then I've been afraid to change the water, so I've left it as is and all fish seem to be doing much better.

The weird thing is, using the API test kit, my readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 NITRATES. Other than the possibility that my test kit somehow went bad, is this even possible?

I shook the ever living out of the nitrate test 2 bottle ( banging it against things, shaking for a few mins) but still getting a 0 reading. I'm def doing the test right (I got plenty of nitrates while I was cycling) so it's not an issue of me doing the test incorrectly.

Is there any other reason that this can happen, or should I buy a new test kit? I have a heavily planted tank if that matters.

Thanks

dankenyon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a panic when nitrates went down to zero in my tank. Guess what caused it, all the live plants I put in it. Plants use nitrates amount other things in the water but still do some changes to replace other things lost from the water that the plants need

Kerina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Plants consume nutrates. If you have few or low pooping fish the plants may soack up all of the nitrates. I have that in my main tank. Everything 0, but its cycled. I know for sure because when I put some of the media to quarantine tank it went straight to nitrates with amonia and nitrites staying at 0.
If you want to double check you can take water sample to a fish store and have them test it.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do a water change every 2 weeks - although I don't have a ton of plants ( Mostly java moss, moss balls and a few odds and ends ) my Nitrates stay relatively low ( under 25 - its hard to see but its a light shade of blue and not purple on API )

I think in my case too is that I feed ( 40 + fish ) once every other day and don't have too many fish that are heavy on the bioload. I think all of those factors contribute to low Nitrates but "0" nitrates is really rare unless you are heavily planted.......

Does your lfs use API to test? You could always have them check instead of buying a new test???????????

Joeyblaze88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Right now I only have 8 fish (others have died after water changes). 4 rainbowfish and 4 rummynose tetras. The tank is relatively heavily planted as well. Here's a pic

Last edited by a moderator:

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Right now I only have 8 fish (others have died after water changes). 4 rainbowfish and 4 rummynose tetras. The tank is relatively heavily planted as well. Here's a pic

Nice! What sized bow is that? I have the 72 gallon

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Water changes shouldn't kill your fish, I would test your tap water to see if there is ammonia in it. Do you use a dechlor and how much water do you change out?

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Joe...

Never heard of fish dying from a water change, unless you're not treating the tap water. It would be a good idea to have your tank water tested, just to get another opinion. The local pet store can do it.

Water changes are the most important thing you can do for your fish and plants too. The fish are doing everything in their tank water, so it needs to be removed and replaced regularly.

Old

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Yep, that is he reasone why you have 0 nitrates! Your bio-load is so little for that size tank and you have pretty big plants to absorb any excess waste and nitrates.

Nice tank by the way!

Joeyblaze88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the compliments on the tank! Great looking tank Junne .

Regarding the water changes, check out my last post about the fish dying after water changes. I use prime with every water change, I match up the temperature that's in the water, there is no ammonia in my tap water.

I THINK it has something to do with the Ph. The Ph out of the tap is much lower than what's in the tank after 24 hours. My guess is the deaths have to do with the fluctuation in Ph after a water change. I have no idea how to resolve this however. I have tons of crushes coral in both of my filters to try and balance the Kh, so I'm not sure what else I can do.

KaitlynAbrams

Valued Member
Reaction score

May i ask what light do you use?
Your plants look great!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom