2 weeks no Water Change? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by hopeful fish, Dec 19, 2013.

1. hopeful fish

hopeful fishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hey all!

With christmas fast approaching, I will be leaving boarding school and going home for a 2 week vacation tomorrow!!! However, my 10 gallon is at school, and I am wondering if I have to go in half way for a water change. The nitrates in the tap water are unusually high (above 20), so I am worried that leaving them for longer with no water change will get into the danger zone. One of my teachers will be at school for three days in the of break middle, so she will feed them for those three days, but other than that, they probably won't be producing much waste.

Thanks!

2. Dondomingo

DondomingoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    4 years
    Even if they're not producing as much detritus, the nitrogen cycle continues. Nitrates will continue to rise. Any chance you can show her/him how to use a python or a friend in the area not going on vacation?

Kinda concerned if your tap has 20ppm nitrates as that's a sign of water contamination agriculture run off, decaying mater in the city water. More common for well water than municipal.

Perhaps you can do a huge water change, use half bottled, half city water to get your nitrates really really low before you leave (just be sure the PH isn't off). Put in some seachem purigen in the filter if you have time. That way with the lower feeding and by time you get back maybe they'll be in the 30-50 range (just theorizing not absolutely sure)

3. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Are you currently stocked with what's in your info? If so I wouldn't worry about them producing too much waste. However, 2 weeks with no food is a long time. Fish can go awhile with no food, but that seems like a lot. You have a very nice teacher btw. If you can go half way through your break to feed them and also do a WC they'll be fine. The nitrAte in the tap water shouldn't be an issue when you use conditioner (such as Prime). What are your normal nitrAte readings on the tank?

If you can't make it half-way through your break, do a big WC before and clean out the filter and feed your boys. Then I'd do a WC as soon as you get back. My main concern is the food. Do you know anyone else, like other students, that are staying during the break? You should ask them...and then bring them to Christmas dinner cause they shouldn't be stuck at school then.

I would also make sure your heater is running fine and at a good solid temperature. As well as setting your lights on a timer.

Enjoy your holiday!

*I also like Don's idea of using some sort of de-nitrate agent (like Purigen) for some short-term relief and insurance.

4. OP
    OP
    hopeful fish

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    I am currently in the process of stocking what's in my info, but I only have the cory cats so far. My teacher will be able to feed them a few times during break. I live relatively close to school, so I can easily come in, it's just a matter of me getting permission to be on campus over break. My nitrAte readings are between 20-40 ppm in the tank (so high!!!! I am planning on getting loads of plants to bring that down.)

Sadly, I can't get to the store in time for break to get some Purigen…It's the downside of being a teenager stuck at boarding school...

5. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I like the plant idea, for longterm. And also do like Don mentioned and maybe buy some water from the supermarket (distilled I believe).

6. atc84

atc84Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yeah plants would go a long way for water changes. My nitrates stay at 5-10 with near overstocking. If your tap was better I would say don't worry about it, but in reality you're probably fine with just the cories. Do you have prime?

7. OP
    OP
    hopeful fish

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    I use Prime with every water change. My mom is going to try and find some Purigen for my vacation; The school denied me permission to go on campus during break...

8. Jake98

Jake98Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    4 years
    I would do as suggested above do a large water change with distilled water, the day you leave. Corys are sensitive but I am sure they will make it two weeks without a water change.

9. OP
    OP
    hopeful fish

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    My mom got some Purigen, and I will put it in when she picks me up. I will do a huge water change tomorrow before I leave, and give the teacher a bucket of dechlorinated water for top-offs. Does that sound good?

10. Dondomingo

DondomingoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    4 years
    Tell your mom I said she's the greatest! Sounds like a good plan to me.

11. Graphix

GraphixWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    4 years
    Seems your mom is fine with your fishkeeping for now, hopefully it stays that way when the urge for another tank comes around!

12. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Why not put a double dose of Prime in the water you're leaving for your teacher, just to negate any possible issues that way as well?

Your fish can go 2 weeks without food, FYI. Won't hurt them a bit But it's really nice of your teacher to come take care of them for you!

13. OP
    OP
    hopeful fish

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    1 year
    My mom is already beginning to become skeptical, but as long as I buy everything myself she's OK with it. Dondomingo--I will let her know! lol! I am so grateful for my teacher too. Thanks for all your help, guys, and happy holidays!!!

Become a Fishlore Member