2 Week Vacation???

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Eheim makes a really good vac. auto-feeder. Even Petco and Petsmart have it. : )

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whatever you do, dont get the feeder blocks that you plop into the tank. It will just foul the water.

A automatic feeder is the best way to go - trial it out prior to ensure it doesn't overfeed! - or consider asking family or a friend to come every couple of days (like 3 to 4... i know, not couple but you get the jist) to feed them. It may be worth saying how much or preportion it out!

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And unless you do NOT have live plants, fish actually can go a long time without eating. But if in fact you do have live plants, they can maybe eat some algae salad for a couple of weeks, and maybe once or twice for their normal food time etc. Unlike dogs and cats, in 2 weeks, fish only need to be fed uh, solidly (is that a word...?) once about every 2-4 days.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your fish will be fine for 2 weeks without any food but if your worried can you get some one to feed them prearanged food once or twice.

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah i have 2 freshwater tanks im worried about. They are both planted heavily.
One has 2 angelfish and a million snails.
The other load pf rainbowfish and corys

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your fish will be fine for 2 weeks without any food but if your worried can you get some one to feed them prearanged food once or twice.
Idk about this. I feel like 2 weeks is really pushing it. I would get a auto feeder for sure for every 2-3 days at least for feeding. DONT get the topfin feeder its garbage!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should do a water change about two days before you leave. This way you can make sure there are no problems prior to you leaving.

So when you leave do a light feeding and that’s it. If you do a auto feed and it dumps too much you will comeback to a tank with problems.

You can opt for a person to come in once a week to feed but if you can’t, leave them be. They’ll be fine and you won’t have all the waste to deal with.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will be leaving for a week and I tried to collect some advice on the topic too. I was advised that a cube of potato on a string is waaay better idea than the feeding block. Just cut out a cube from the middle of a potato and use it as a feeding block. I haven't tried it yet though. The feeding blocks do not dissolve over time, they dissolve quickly and are basically useless for longer vacations. I would also drop in two boiled spinach leaves (those last to my fish 3 days at least). Also I will put in a thin slice of garlic they can snack on.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah to be completely honest, they can go without eating for 2 weeks as long as you have live plants, and you give them a really good meal before leaving. If you are really worried about it buy an automatic fish feeder but that is not completely necessary.
Very true, they still have some time so they can feed lots and then they can fast for the 2 weeks.

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My roomate said **** feed them so were all good. I just didnt want to bother him aa hes really busy

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Too late now as im about to fly but i just said every 3 days and showed him how much

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Heaters set to 78 and turn off automatically.
Im a week into my vacation now so its all systems go crossed fingers until i get home.
Roomate hasnt reported any casualties so far.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom