2 that I'm not sure about

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of these was already in here but I got a better pic of him(answer was female Killifish the first time but I wanna be 100%)

Second was a present from the wife that I explained in another post
I think this is a Chinese Algae eater. Was sold to my wife at the LFS when she was asking for Oto's to which the employee told her " Oh we just call em Algae Eaters, but they are Oto's." I sighed and added him to my fry tank cause we had a brown diatom problem I think it was and let me tell you....this guy had the tank SPOTLESS in 3 days tops......excellent for the brown looking algae at least!!!
Heres the pics:

EDIT: The first guy has survived since day one of my community tank setup. He has been through a cycle(before I heard about fishless from you fine folks), an outbreak of Ich, as well as an outbreak of Cottonmouth(I think it's called). Whatever he/she is, it's a tough little bugger for sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The bottom pic looks like a CAE to me, the top 2 kind of look like a penquin Tetra, but I'm not sure about that.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If it helps, the top guy was bought as the 10th Zebra Danio we got in a bag of 9 lol. So he was in the tank with the Zebras.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Nick that the second fish is definitely a Chinese Algae Eater. I'm not so sure the first fish is a Penguin Tetra though. From memory the dark stripe on Penguin Tetras does not extend right through the eye to the tip of the snout. If I had to take a guess what it is my guess would be One-Lined Pencilfish (Nannostomus Unifasciatus) or maybe Golden Pencilfish (Nannostomus Becfordi). There is an outside chance that it could be a Blue Emporor Tetra (Impaichthys Kerri).

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're right about the stripe Nutter, on the Penquin it doesn't extend through the eye, closest I could come up with though! I don't think it's a pencilfish, they're usually more pointy (no pun intended!)

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think so far the One Lined Pencilfish look to be the closest match after googling the name. Definitely not a tetra though.

EDIT:You are right about it seeming kinda pointy though Nick

AlexW

Reaction score
Still looks like a female blue fin killie to me

Lucania goodei

Reasoning behind this is that it lacks an adipose fin, which would rule out any tetra I know...

Last edited:

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Looks quite a bit like a blue-finned killi, good job Alex. A clearer picture may help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom