2 stocking questions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by semi-aggressive, Dec 1, 2012.

1. s

semi-aggressive New Member Member

I recently made some changes to my 75 gallon bowfront whichhas a filtration system for 100 gallons and Ive been doing water changes once every 3 weeks.
    I currently have:
    2 angels
    6 bosemonie rainbows (3f+3m)
    3 silver dollars
    1 rainbow shark
    (When I find a taker, ill get rid of my chinese algae eater and 3 cories because I heard the cAE will get too aggressive and the cories will get picked on)

Q1: if my 3 silver dollars are doing well together and aren't any more jumpy than the other fish, is it okay to only have 3 of them?

Q2: am I going to b overstocked if I add 2 keyholes?

I appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or experience anyone could share.

2. Landozer18

Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

I would be doing water changes on that tank weekly or bi weekly.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Personally I would increase the Silver Dollars by 2 if I had to choose between them and the Keyholes. For Silver Dollars there is safety in #'s. However I would really like to see Silver Dollars in tanks 6' or greater. Three will do well if you do not want to add any more. :)

I'm sure someone will chime in concerning the Keyholes before long.

Agreed with Landozer and would up the water changes to weekly. Nothing beats fresh water for your fish. :)

My Rainbow Shark chases my Silver Dollars a good bit. I see nipped fins from time to time but these fish are in a 7' tank and have room to escape. Otherwise, I'm sure the damage from the Rainbow would be worse than it is.

4. OP
    OP
    s

Thank you both. If anyone has thought about adding keyholes, let me know. Thanks!

5. OP
    OP
    s

To landozer and aquarist: when I do monthly water changes, I take everything out of the tank and sift through all of the gravel. Is this what you think I should be doing each week? Im afraid of stressing the fish out if I do that every week. Should I be?

To anyone and everyone: any thought on adding 2-4 keyholes?

6. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Sorry, I cant help with the stocking and this wasn't directed to me, but you dont have to do a DEEP cleaning (taking everything out) each time you do your water change. So long as you keep your water changes fairly consistent and often, the fresh water is what the fish want.

Example: I do a weekly 50-60% water change and every other time I do my change, I move the caves and clean under them and behind the plants, etc. When I had gravel, I vacuumed one half of the tank one week and the other half the next so my fish wouldn't be as disturbed as I worked. Granted, I also move fairly slow so no ones flipping out anyways :) I think of it as if I were stuck in my room for a week, I'd like to open a window and swap the air out, clean the bed linens, etc. :) Just my thoughts

Good luck!

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would keep the cories and add them up to at least 6, I agree with Ken on the SD's thou personally I wouldnt keep them in anything less than 6'.

I would think about adding some type of smaller pleco such as a Bushy Nose to help control algae when it starts, either that or a couple nerite snails.

To me that tank is really missing a nice smaller (not tiny) schooling fish to make it really stand out.

Ziggi also makes a GREAT point about doing water changes and cleaning.

8. OP
    OP
    s

Ok, I started doing weekly water changes. Its not so bad if u don't have to take everything out each week.

New idea: what if I added a pearl gourami to this tank (no keyholes)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice