2 Small Stands For One Large Tank

AaronThomas

Simple question, but I just wanted to check. Would it be okay to use 2 smaller stands to hold up one larger tank?

Thanks

Nobote

How big is the larger aquarium?

I would be leary that there would be a height difference, and water is a live load.

RSababady

Simple question, but I just wanted to check. Would it be okay to use 2 smaller stands to hold up one larger tank?

Thanks
Assuming that they can take the weight, you will need to find a way of ensuring that:
  1. there is no movement between the stands (vertical nor horizontal)
  2. the stands are of identical height, so there is not strain on the bottom of the tank where the two stands join/meet. It maybe advisable to use one mat under the tank that covers the surface of both stands.
as this will lead to the bottom of the tank cracking.

kallililly1973

providing their identical in height I would try to attach them together with a sheet of plywood that runs the length of both stands. Depending on the size of the tank of course.

Skavatar

they need to the the same height, and support the corners.

Burnout1620

Honestly, this sounds like a terrible idea.

Ulu

It's a simple question, but it doesn't contain enough data for an intelligent answer.

It could be totally OK, and then again it could be a disaster, depending on the various factors involved.

badrad

On one of my earlier setups, I suspended a long tank (5') across a couple stacks of old mag wheels and I put an old wardrobe door laid across 2x4s over the 2 mag stacks and the tank sat on a thick layer of styrofoam. I made sure the platform was level using shims under one stack of wheels. Worked out well ran for 6 years, but do your homework and figure it out before committing your fish to it. After setting up, I left mine filled with water but unpopulated for a few weeks to make sure everything settled and no surprises before I put fish into the tank.

tjander

People, unless you are willing to risk x number of gallons of water on your floor at the worst possible moment. (Murphy’s law). Don’t cut corners on your setup. Buy a stand that is designed for your aquarium. Or set it on a table that fully supports it. A 20 gallon tank can easily weight over 200 lbs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Planted125
  • Poll
Replies
Views
JamieLu
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies