2 skunks in...only one left standing?? Help 

new_sw_gurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all,
I purchased 2 skunk cleaners this weekend. One is about 2.5" long and the other was about half the size of that one...under 2". I acclimated both and put them in the tank. All was well for about 4 hours and I left home. Came back 7 hours later...the small one is missing. I thought he was hiding. Next morning...still no sign. It's now been 2 days. No sign. No antenna, no floating legs, no molt. Nothing. Thoughts??
Tank inhabitants include: Ocellaris, peppermint shrimp, diamond goby, firefish, snails & crabs. There was a pretty large bristle worm in there until I blamed him and took him out yesterday.
Should I hold onto hope that he's still hiding??

Nate41590

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yes hold on to hope!!! i sometimes go a week without seeing my peppermint shrimp, and he is fine! i actually just saw him today, and he has just grown and grown. don't worry about it for now. Wait for a little while longer, and if after a week or so, you still haven't seen him, he may have been eaten. I think that skunk cleaners can be semi aggressive if they are having to compete for food, or are in a tank that is too small for them. especially since he is so much smaller than the big guy. good luck!!

ksatterf

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would hold out hope for a fewmore days depending on how many place there are to hide. I have 3 pepperments I hardly ever see. If it goes much more than a few more days there may be a problem. I have a large cleaner in my 29 gal and he is always out and active. I had a smaller one in my 180. He was also always active and visible. One day I saw the cleaner inthe 180 in trouble. Looked like someone took a bite out of him. I suspect my hawkfish. Moments later pne of my brittle stars pulled it into the rocks and had a meal. All I ever saw again was a piece of the tail. If the larger shrimp attacked it, the brittle star probably finished it off.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I put a small skunk in my aquarium a few months back. Acclimated and dropped him in, he fled to the rocks and that's the last I saw of him. Since then I've gotten a rather large coral banded shrimp and he's doing fine, if a bit shy. I think the other critters ate the small skunk.

new_sw_gurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well Zeeter,
I think you're right. Tomorrow it'll be a week and my little dude is still nowhere to be found. So, I'm off to the fish store this weekend to find one that's a little closer in size to the ones I already have. Shame on me for bringing this little guy home to his doom.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads