2 sick common goldfish?

DonaldJTrump

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello,

My summer has been a mess since I had to move my 2 common goldfish to a 10 gallon tank. I couldn't move to a bigger tank right now because I don't have ANY space for an 80 gallon tank. I am planning to move to a bigger home somewhere next year.

I used to keep the 2 of them in a 3 gallon tank. It was around late May when I saw my small goldfish floating straight up from his caudual fin to its nostrils. Since I had bought the two goldfish 3 years ago, my small goldfish would sometimes floating in this position when sleeping:

↗ (Top arrow indicates his mouth/nostrils)

I've never seen his whole body straight up. I thought it had swim bladder issues so I kept him in a 1 gallon bowl for 2 weeks feeding it unshelled peas. One morning I found him out of the tank, but he remained alive.

So around June I purchased my 10 gallon tank with a filter (100 gallons per hour), and I put both my small and big goldfish back to the tank. I noticed my small goldfish had turned pale white and a bit orange, but I think it's because goldfish change colors overtime.

All July I was trying to cycle my tank with the help of some FishLore members. I finally got it cycled by the beginning of August.

Then again this past week, my small goldfish was floating straight up from his caudual fin to its nostrils, so I started feeding peas again for 3 days. Plus he developed a few red spots in his tail in July.

The only time the two of my goldfish are swimming around the tank is during feeding time. Throughout the morning and afternoon, they hang out at one dark side of the tank. They float in one place, never sit down at the bottom, and eventually my big goldfish may move to the other side of the tank.

So maybe this week I noticed my big goldfish had his dorsal fin down, I don't know why. My other small goldfish has his dorsal fin up. Both goldfish don't have their pectoral fin clamped.

Back in June, I had a spiky plant that harmed my big goldfish by tearing his scales. He had 6 scales removed. He no longer looses his scales after I removed the plant.

So here are the handy information:

Time I had with goldfish: Almost 3 years
Time of tank setup: Almost 3 months uncycled until August (was adding prime everyday, water changes everyday) 2 weeks now having a cycled tank.
Tank size: 10 Gallons
Fish: Goldfish
Plants: 1 fake plant, 1 smooth rock I bought at Petsmart
Chemicals used: ​Prime as dechlorinator, used Stability to cycle my tank
Maintenance Schedule:
50% water changes twice a week. Add Prime if there are any traces of ammonia. Never change the filter.
Water Parameters:

pH: 8.1 Ammonia: 0 - 0.25 (Sometimes)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10.0

I just did a water change today.

Thank you very much for the help

SOLVED ISSUES:
- Small goldfish poops normal again. Poop no longer long white stingy.

JThor

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI there, sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

Well it's good you've given a lot of information about the goldfish but I think you've become a victI'm of impulse buying/LFS pawning goldfish off to you as neither of those tanks who've had are at all acceptable for goldfish off and I can only assume after three years their growths have been horribly stunted and its messed them up.

The fish that has his dorsal fin down is either stressed, really really sick and not to try scare monger you..could be dying. I did the same rookie mistake of having two shubunkin in a 3.5G tank and I was so excited since they were the first fish I ever had! But by the time I had wised up to the fact that it was bad conditions for a goldfish it was too late, after a week or two of having his fins down my little shubunkin LokI was found floating next to the filter. The other one managed to hang on in there till I gave him away. My honest opinion is if you care about the fish and want them to have a happy life and this is a bit of a gamble but i'd suggest trading them into a pet shop or giving them to a friend with a giant tank. I ended up giving my remaining goldfish to my uncle and the little bugger is now gigantic at 11 years old and is really happy out in a pond with seemingly no ill effects from my noobie keeping all those 11 years ago!

At the end of the day, yes its nice to have fish but you have to consider their happiness, and that tank won't cut it for two young or old Goldfish. Good news is if you were to trade them in, your tank is more than suitable for a Betta (if you have a heater) or a school of White Clouds (For without a heater or with one, choice is yours)

Good luck with whatever you do, I'm sure you will make the right choice for your fish.

OP
D

DonaldJTrump

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
JThor said:
HI there, sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

Well it's good you've given a lot of information about the goldfish but I think you've become a victI'm of impulse buying/LFS pawning goldfish off to you as neither of those tanks who've had are at all acceptable for goldfish off and I can only assume after three years their growths have been horribly stunted and its messed them up.

The fish that has his dorsal fin down is either stressed, really really sick and not to try scare monger you..could be dying. I did the same rookie mistake of having two shubunkin in a 3.5G tank and I was so excited since they were the first fish I ever had! But by the time I had wised up to the fact that it was bad conditions for a goldfish it was too late, after a week or two of having his fins down my little shubunkin LokI was found floating next to the filter. The other one managed to hang on in there till I gave him away. My honest opinion is if you care about the fish and want them to have a happy life and this is a bit of a gamble but i'd suggest trading them into a pet shop or giving them to a friend with a giant tank. I ended up giving my remaining goldfish to my uncle and the little bugger is now gigantic at 11 years old and is really happy out in a pond with seemingly no ill effects from my noobie keeping all those 11 years ago!

At the end of the day, yes its nice to have fish but you have to consider their happiness, and that tank won't cut it for two young or old Goldfish. Good news is if you were to trade them in, your tank is more than suitable for a Betta (if you have a heater) or a school of White Clouds (For without a heater or with one, choice is yours)

Good luck with whatever you do, I'm sure you will make the right choice for your fish.
Little update. Mysteriously I found that both goldfish have their dorsal fin up when active or searching for food. But somehow when they rest, they have their dorsal fin up, or in the middle. I'm not sure if it's because there is a bit of ammonia in the water or something, but I'm my big goldfish is not sick or dying. Later in the afternoon they look in search for food and swim around the tank.

To be clear, both goldfish don't have their dorsal fin down all the time. They are active and eat very well.

I just need to see if my small goldfish has some sort of illness or something.

JThor

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Again, the illness is probably the lack of space for said Goldfish. Goldfish are poop machines, daily water changes will help yes but space is what they really need. Sure they may perk up in the day or night for food but that's simply down to natural instinct, they'll always want food at some stage.

Maybe someone else on the forum can give you a better answer you'd like to hear to help with your problem, but just from experience having had goldfish for the longest time that the most likely problem is the lack of space. But I suppose if you want to still keep them and hold out for the best, try add new things to their diet and do daily water changes.

Could I just ask is it even at all possible for you to get a 40+G tank and off one of the Goldfish? That way you still retain one of them and it will reward you by being happier

OP
D

DonaldJTrump

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
JThor said:
Again, the illness is probably the lack of space for said Goldfish. Goldfish are poop machines, daily water changes will help yes but space is what they really need. Sure they may perk up in the day or night for food but that's simply down to natural instinct, they'll always want food at some stage.

Maybe someone else on the forum can give you a better answer you'd like to hear to help with your problem, but just from experience having had goldfish for the longest time that the most likely problem is the lack of space. But I suppose if you want to still keep them and hold out for the best, try add new things to their diet and do daily water changes.

Could I just ask is it even at all possible for you to get a 40+G tank and off one of the Goldfish? That way you still retain one of them and it will reward you by being happier
I live in an apartment, a very small one. I can't fit a 40 gallon tank in any room
Can high temperatures stress my goldfish a bit? I don't have an air conditioner or a heater, but recently there has been a heat wave for the past few days. Today it is expected to reach over 90 degrees.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, heat can stress a goldfish since they are a coldwater fish. The tank as stated above is way to small, they need a 200 gallon pond for 1 common goldfish. I suggest giving them away. It doesn't seem as though you have the right conditions to keep a goldfish, perhaps you can try a different fish? Make sure to check with use first to see if its a good match with the temp and tank. It seems they are stressed and possibly has swim bladder. Could you post photos?

OP
D

DonaldJTrump

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Platylover said:
Yes, heat can stress a goldfish since they are a coldwater fish. The tank as stated above is way to small, they need a 200 gallon pond for 1 common goldfish. I suggest giving them away. It doesn't seem as though you have the right conditions to keep a goldfish, perhaps you can try a different fish? Make sure to check with use first to see if its a good match with the temp and tank. It seems they are stressed and possibly has swim bladder. Could you post photos?
200g per common goldfish?
Many say you need 40 gallon per common. I don't know who to give them to.

Since July my small goldfish had developed red spots just in his tail.

20160814_173633.jpg20160814_173643.jpg

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
40g is for fancies, for commons, I don't know the rule for adding more than one, but the first one is 200g. But many say 300g. It looks like it may be hemoraghic septicmiea, I'd look into it and see if you think it may be it.

JThor

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As both Platy and I have said, the tank size simply isn't enough. Of course, we can't make you give up the fish because its entirely up to you what you do with them but we're not out to get you..its the truth.

But its not the end for your 10G tank! As I said originally, if you buy a heater you can get a heater and/or some shrimp. Or if you can't afford a heater I think 10G would be fine for some WCMMs, hardier fish than goldfish though I think 10G is pushing it for a school so maybe keep it about 5 and you should be okay.

OP
D

DonaldJTrump

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Platylover said:
40g is for fancies, for commons, I don't know the rule for adding more than one, but the first one is 200g. But many say 300g. It looks like it may be hemoraghic septicmiea, I'd look into it and see if you think it may be it.
40 gallons per common goldfish
20 gallons per fancy fish

JThor said:
As both Platy and I have said, the tank size simply isn't enough. Of course, we can't make you give up the fish because its entirely up to you what you do with them but we're not out to get you..its the truth.

But its not the end for your 10G tank! As I said originally, if you buy a heater you can get a heater and/or some shrimp. Or if you can't afford a heater I think 10G would be fine for some WCMMs, hardier fish than goldfish though I think 10G is pushing it for a school so maybe keep it about 5 and you should be okay.
I'm really hoping to buy them at least an 80 gallon tank when I move homes. I will wait for more answers.

OP
D

DonaldJTrump

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
JThor said:

I might be able to keep a crayfish in a 10g.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DonaldJTrump said:
40 gallons per common goldfish
20 gallons per fancy fish

I'm really hoping to buy them at least an 80 gallon tank when I move homes. I will wait for more answers.
In that case I suggest changing half the water every day and dosing Prime for the full volume.

I also highly recommend getting yourself a liquid test kit.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sorry to inform you, but that website gave out miss information. It seems kind of crazy to have an 12-+(I believe they can get around 20) inch fish in a 40g. At least to me it does. They are also very messy eaters and a 40 gallon isn't suitable in many ways. Bigger tank equals healthier fish? You shouldn't have any problems with a healthy fish in the correct tank size unless you are not taking proper care. 10 gallon is way to small for a fancy, they need a 29 gallon minimum. Does it looks like hemoraghic septicmiea to you?

OP
D

DonaldJTrump

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aquaphobia said:
In that case I suggest changing half the water every day and dosing Prime for the full volume.

I also highly recommend getting yourself a liquid test kit.
I do have a liquid test kit
ph, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are under control. ph never moves beyond 8.1. Ammonia and nitrites is always around 0. Nitrates never get beyond 30 ppm. I do 50% water changes 2 times a week and always dose 1mL of Prime.

Platylover said:
I'm sorry to inform you, but that website gave out miss information. It seems kind of crazy to have an 12-+(I believe they can get around 20) inch fish in a 40g. At least to me it does. They are also very messy eaters and a 40 gallon isn't suitable in many ways. Bigger tank equals healthier fish? You shouldn't have any problems with a healthy fish in the correct tank size unless you are not taking proper care. 10 gallon is way to small for a fancy, they need a 29 gallon minimum. Does it looks like hemoraghic septicmiea to you?
I don't think any of my fish have hemoraghic septicmiea, because they aren't bleeding all around their bodies. I agree, goldfish can grow REALLY big.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ammonia and nitrites shouldn't be around zero, they should be at zero

New Threads