2 quick questions

JCM
HI guys
Just have a couple of questions that I have tried to google but am getting different answers from every website. Very annoying lol.
First question is, how can I safely clean the outside of my aquarium glass? It is pretty clean but still a bit smeary. I use just paper towel and water atm as I'm scared to use any chemicals. Any ideas?

second question is which aquarium test kit should I buy? I have Easy-Life 6in1 test strips atm but am looking for a more accurate way of testing my water. Iv heard apI master test kits are good. Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisement
coralbandit
Spray glass cleaner on paper towel in another room away from tank .
Vinnegar may also work to clean your glass.

lilirose
I bought a special fish-safe glass cleaner called JBL CleanA. My LFS here in Ireland had it. From the smell, I'd guess it's mostly alcohol. It works really well. The instructions say it's safe to use even on the inner rI'm of a stocked aquarium (so you can use it to remove hard water marks!).

For the test kit, you should definitely get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. That is the best, most accurate, and most highly recommended. It looks expensive but if you break it down to "cost per test" it works out cheaper than strips.

Cichlidude
I just use Windex for the past 10 years. I just don't spray it in the tank.

JCM
Spray glass cleaner on paper towel in another room away from tank .
Vinnegar may also work to clean your glass.
So glass cleaner would be safe? I'm just worried incase it gets into the water. Maybe I just panic too much lol thank u

Than
I bought a special fish-safe glass cleaner called JBL CleanA. My LFS here in Ireland had it. From the smell, I'd guess it's mostly alcohol. It works really well. The instructions say it's safe to use even on the inner rI'm of a stocked aquarium (so you can use it to remove hard water marks!).

For the test kit, you should definitely get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. That is the best, most accurate, and most highly recommended. It looks expensive but if you break it down to "cost per test" it works out cheaper than strips.
thank u for the reply. I think I will definitely get the apI test kit I find the strips pretty hard to read sometimes and although they are easy to use I want something that is very accurate!

I just use Windex for the past 10 years. I just don't spray it in the tank.
Well seems like iv been worrying over nothing! Iv got some window cleaner so il give it a try. thanks

Would the normal glass cleaner work on an acrylic tank I have as well?

lilirose
Regular window cleaner contains ammonia, you want to be very careful spraying it near your tank. One might think "a tiny bit won't hurt" but once I did a fishless cycle I learned how little ammonia is needed to bring a tank up to dangerous levels.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Morayeel
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
midna
Replies
Views