2 Questions

potter

So I have a 2.5 gallon right now with my betta in it on my washroom countertop. It's the best spot I have right now where I can see him more and is able to change the water easily. I do have some marimo moss balls sitting around. I would like to put them in there but I do find that they make the bottom of the tank more dirty with what looks like pieces of debris or something. Does it happen to you guys as well?

I am also thinking of putting him in a 5 gallon tank to replace the 2.5 gallon. Anyone knows if a laminated bathroom countertop can hold a filled 5 gallon safely? I think they said it'll weigh 62 lbs?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Crimson_687

Older marimo moss balls or less healthy ones can fall apart, thus the fuzzy green debris. You can try to roll it back together gently, or flatten it out and make it a bed. Some bettas enjoy sitting on a mess of Marimo
As for the other question it sounds like it should support the weight but idk

Morpheus1967

The 5 gallon will weigh closer to 50 pounds than 60 pounds. 42 pounds for the water, then whatever the tank weighs plus the substrate.

Crimson_687

Morpheus1967 said:
The 5 gallon will weigh closer to 50 pounds than 60 pounds. 42 pounds for the water, then whatever the tank weighs plus the substrate.
Ok so I just came up with a random idea. Get 5 1-gallon containers. Fill them up. Then get your bag of substrate and put them all on the table together.
Very random but maybe it works?

Morpheus1967

Crimson_687 said:
Ok so I just came up with a random idea. Get 5 1-gallon containers. Fill them up. Then get your bag of substrate and put them all on the table together.
Seems like a lot of work for what is only going to be a couple of pounds in either direction. The water will weigh 41.7 pounds. The tank maybe 5 pounds. Gravel another 5 pounds. So say 52 pounds give or take, depending on decorations.

potter

Crimson_687 said:
Or I could just put the 5 gallon on there and not fill it to the top. I can fill 3.5 gallon and there'll still be more swimming space for him than my current 2.5 gallon. I can't imagine the laminated countertops can't hold 62 lbs but if not, my boyfriend will not be very happy about it.

david1978

I use the people test. Can you sit on it. If so its fine.

mattgirl

The laminated top should be glued to a sheet of plywood so I feel sure it can easily support a 5 gallon tank without causing any damage. I wouldn't be concerned at all sitting my 55 gallon tank on my laminated counter tops. It helps knowing exactly how these counter tops were made and what they are made of though.

Your moss balls may stop making a mess if you take them out during each water change and clean them in some of the water you have removed from the tank. Just give them a gentle squeeze in the used tank water and roll them around with your hands to keep them ball shaped.

Morpheus1967

mattgirl said:
The laminated top should be glued to a sheet of plywood so I feel sure it can easily support a 5 gallon tank without causing any damage. I wouldn't be concerned at all sitting my 55 gallon tank on my laminated counter tops. It helps knowing exactly how these counter tops were made and what they are made of though.
Actually, it's usually particle board, which is not nearly as strong as plywood. I only know this because its what I do for a living lol. But even so, it should be just fine.

mattgirl

Morpheus1967 said:
Actually, it's usually particle board, which is not nearly as strong as plywood. I only know this because its what I do for a living lol. But even so, it should be just fine.
I agree, it should be plenty strong enough. I was just going by my counter tops. We used 3/4 inch plywood. I guess particle board is less expensive though.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom